Rodinal, its true story and formula.

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

cameramill.co.uk

Re: Rodinal, its true story and formula.

Post by cameramill.co.uk »

The Andresen patents you seek can be found here, starting with the first;

worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/originalDocument?CC=DE&NR=46915C&KC=C&FT=D&ND=3&DB=&locale=en_EP

worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/originalDocument?CC=DE&NR=60174C&KC=C&FT=D&ND=3&DB=&locale=en_EP

worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/originalDocument?CC=DE&NR=50265C&KC=C&FT=D&ND=3&DB=&locale=en_EP

worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/originalDocument?CC=DE&NR=53549C&KC=C&FT=D&ND=3&DB=&locale=en_EP

worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/originalDocument?CC=GB&NR=189311872A&KC=A&FT=D&ND=3&date=18940421&DB=&locale=en_EP

You also might find this an interesting read, its in German but I have included the Google translation in the link.

translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://dingler.culture.

Digitaltruth
Site Admin

Post by Digitaltruth »

Hi Cameramill,

The translated link appears incomplete.Can you repost it?
Digitaltruth Photo
https://www.digitaltruth.com

cameramill.co.uk

Hi Jon yes sorry for that. Hopefully this will work for you.

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate ... %2Brodinal

Ornello

Post by Ornello »

Nobody cares about this stuff.

cameramill.co.uk

Ornello if nobody cared then this post would not exist. The fact that it does rather makes your pointless comment look stupid.

KennyE has obviously taken a lot of time over this and I think the least he deserves for his trouble is a bit of curtsey. As I pointed out to him in a recent email, not only am I interested, but what he has done has answered some questions that people for well over 100 years has been asking. In fact if you care to Google "Rodinal Formula", you will see that it's not just me that is interested to know the true formula and a little history behind it.

Please show a little respect.

Ornello

Post by Ornello »

cameramill.co.uk wrote:Ornello if nobody cared then this post would not exist. The fact that it does rather makes your pointless comment look stupid.

KennyE has obviously taken a lot of time over this and I think the least he deserves for his trouble is a bit of curtsey. As I pointed out to him in a recent email, not only am I interested, but what he has done has answered some questions that people for well over 100 years has been asking. In fact if you care to Google "Rodinal Formula", you will see that it's not just me that is interested to know the true formula and a little history behind it.

Please show a little respect.
Nobody cares about this stuff. I hate Rodinal anyway. That's the point!

Jim Appleyard

Post by Jim Appleyard »

You are entitled to your opinion, but like your opinion about Rodinal, we don't care.

Ornello

Post by Ornello »

The history of Rodinal, a very mediocre developer, in 14 volumes.

I'll pass.

It's not surprising that AGFA changed the formula over the years due to changes in cost and availability of components. So what? Who cares? We know the basics, that it is a highly concentrated developer based on 4-aminophenol and a strong alkali. All that the curious would need to know is here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodinal

cameramill.co.uk

Ornello just as a matter of interest what developer do you like to use? Myself I personally like to use D-23, that's not because I have tried lots of developers and arrived at this one, because I have not, its because I like the fact it is simple to make and gives very satisfactory results at 1:3 dilutions which also makes it extremely economical.

Not only do I get much pleasure from using film over digital but I get an equal amount of fun from making my own developers. Call me sad but I also like the history of photography, I find it interesting and love the nostalgia aspect. The truth is I have never used Rodinal or do I plan to use it, I do have an extremely old bottle of Azol. Azol being a Johnson and Sons Manufacturing Chemists equivalent of Rodinal, my bottle is from around 1950's after Johnson & Sons changed their name to Johnsons of Hendon. All said, I do plan to use this or at least attempt to. The excitement of using a bottle of developer 62 years of age, the history behind the company that produced it and the fact I was not even born when this developer was made conjurers up more desire and interest for me than any bottle of developer on the market does. I have been savouring this bottle until I had the information I was looking for, no wikipedia page to help me out. And before you try to be smart, no its not the same dilutions and times as Rodinal, they are quite different. While I was researching about Azol I discovered it was inevitable that I found myself keep finding references to Rodinal after all it is based on the same developing agent and dates back to 1912 around 10-20 years after Rodinal was released.

I can understand and appreciate that you have no desire to use or have interest in Rodinal, like you nor do I really but where we do differ is I am not rude and I would never dream of posting in a thread I had no interest in and show a lack of empathy that you have shown. It really does not contribute to the thread/topic and also places you in bad light. You have expressed your opinion and its been dully noted and replied to so lets move on, what did you say your preference of developer was?

Ornello

Post by Ornello »

cameramill.co.uk wrote:Ornello just as a matter of interest what developer do you like to use? Myself I personally like to use D-23, that's not because I have tried lots of developers and arrived at this one, because I have not, its because I like the fact it is simple to make and gives very satisfactory results at 1:3 dilutions which also makes it extremely economical.

Not only do I get much pleasure from using film over digital but I get an equal amount of fun from making my own developers. Call me sad but I also like the history of photography, I find it interesting and love the nostalgia aspect. The truth is I have never used Rodinal or do I plan to use it, I do have an extremely old bottle of Azol. Azol being a Johnson and Sons Manufacturing Chemists equivalent of Rodinal, my bottle is from around 1950's after Johnson & Sons changed their name to Johnsons of Hendon. All said, I do plan to use this or at least attempt to. The excitement of using a bottle of developer 62 years of age, the history behind the company that produced it and the fact I was not even born when this developer was made conjurers up more desire and interest for me than any bottle of developer on the market does. I have been savouring this bottle until I had the information I was looking for, no wikipedia page to help me out. And before you try to be smart, no its not the same dilutions and times as Rodinal, they are quite different. While I was researching about Azol I discovered it was inevitable that I found myself keep finding references to Rodinal after all it is based on the same developing agent and dates back to 1912 around 10-20 years after Rodinal was released.

I can understand and appreciate that you have no desire to use or have interest in Rodinal, like you nor do I really but where we do differ is I am not rude and I would never dream of posting in a thread I had no interest in and show a lack of empathy that you have shown. It really does not contribute to the thread/topic and also places you in bad light. You have expressed your opinion and its been dully noted and replied to so lets move on, what did you say your preference of developer was?
We didn't need so much. It was the fact that there were so many posts, and if you'll note there were few comments. One or two posts would have sufficed. I was using Paterson developers, but since they are not available in the US I have been mixing my own, using the Crawley formulas, usually FX-15.

FX15 Acutol S

Metol 3.5g
Sodium Sulphite (anhyd) 100g
Phenidone 0.1g
Hydroquinone 2.25g
Sodium Metabisulphite 0.5g
Borax 2.5g
Sodium Carbonate (anhyd) 1g
Potassium Bromide 1.5g
Water to 1 litre

cameramill.co.uk

I see, maybe you should of been looking at the number of views the thread had attracted instead. Also if you look at the dev charts for Rodinal http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.ph ... empUnits=C

You will notice that it has many entries compared to most of the developers, which also illustrates it as being a popular developer.

I have never tried FX15 Acutol S it looks to be an interesting combination of compounds. 3 developing agents too. I have most of these compounds and will have to give this a try. I guess being called "Acutol" it is a high acutance developer? Thanks for posting the formula I will try this with some outdated film to see what kind of results I get.

Ornello

Post by Ornello »

cameramill.co.uk wrote:I see, maybe you should of been looking at the number of views the thread had attracted instead. Also if you look at the dev charts for Rodinal http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.ph ... empUnits=C

You will notice that it has many entries compared to most of the developers, which also illustrates it as being a popular developer.

I have never tried FX15 Acutol S it looks to be an interesting combination of compounds. 3 developing agents too. I have most of these compounds and will have to give this a try. I guess being called "Acutol" it is a high acutance developer? Thanks for posting the formula I will try this with some outdated film to see what kind of results I get.

Not denying it has been a popular developer, just saying the number of posts about "The History of Rodinal" is ridiculous.

Ornello

Post by Ornello »

Jim Appleyard wrote:You are entitled to your opinion, but like your opinion about Rodinal, we don't care.
Would you want a thread on the history of Ivory Snow, in 47 posts?

It floats!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivory_%28soap%29

Jim Appleyard

Post by Jim Appleyard »

You just don't get it, do you?

Ornello

Post by Ornello »

Jim Appleyard wrote:You just don't get it, do you?
I don't think it's necessary to state the obvious, that this is a history of a manufacturing process. Who cares? Rodinal is the trade name for a developer. Its composition has changed slightly over the years due to the exigencies of materials availability, cost, legal issues, etc. One could say the same thing about Coca-Cola, Ivory Snow, or any number of products. There is nothing special about Rodinal that makes its manufacturing history any more worthy of such a protracted discussion. The product marketed by Kodak as "D-76" is not identical to the formula published by Kodak in 1927, but the differences are of no significance to the user.
Last edited by Ornello on Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.