jobo processor/ b&w negative processing

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

glennc

jobo processor/ b&w negative processing

Post by glennc »

The lab I work at has started to have problems with b&w film processing in a Jobo ATL2. The film comes out of the final wash with a residue. It can be removed with gentle rubbing from any image area but stays in the sprocket hole areas. The probelm is intermittent and happens more to Ilford films than other brands. We are pretty good about mixing and chemical usage as well as having in line water filters and using distilled water for our developer mixes. So any help would be appreciated. :?

Lowell Huff

Post by Lowell Huff »

If the residue is a white powder, then you need to mix hardener in the fix correctly? I would suggest to stop using hardener altogether.

glennc

film residue

Post by glennc »

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking along the same line. We dumped all our fix and re-mixed without the hardener. Looks like the trouble is cleared up. I do suspect that our local water supply has changed and contributed to the trouble also. It's odd that the problem just started, we han't changed anything for a long time in terms of procedures. I'm considering mixing all my b&w chem with distilled h20.

Lowell Huff

Post by Lowell Huff »

DI water is not necessary. No hardener will solve the problem.