Kodak HIE and Rodinal

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

peterjcrowley

Kodak HIE and Rodinal

Post by peterjcrowley »

I will be shooting some tests soon with HIE and would love some impressions on using it with Rodinal. I have checked The Massive Dev. Chart. where I find times and dilutions for ISO 400 and 1600, there are also times but no ISO for Rodinal 1/25 9 min. and 1/50 12 min. I am looking for High Contrast figure work. Any opinions will be appreciated.
enjoy pjc

http://www.peterjcrowley.com
If you have integrity,nothing else matters.
If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.
Alan Simpson
PhotographicArt

Digitaltruth
Site Admin

Post by Digitaltruth »

IR film responds to both visible and infrared light. Light meters vary in how they read IR, so unless you have calibrated your meter or built a separate IR-sensitive meter, then the light readings you take may not be reliable from one set of lighting conditions to the next. As a result, setting the ISO on your camera or meter may not correlate to the sensitivity of the film. The times listed in the chart which do not specify an ISO setting can be used at the film's "normal" ISO setting, which should then be modified depending on the level of filtration used and whether readings are being taken TTL or with a handheld meter. Depending on the subject contrast and amount of infrared light, you may find that you get better results by allowing more or less light in. In general, results are dependable, but there is a lot of variation in exposure settings, and you may find it easier to adjust exposure based on how much infrared light appears to be present in comparison with the available visible light.

Personally, I find that trial and error exposures based on experience are more reliable than setting the ISO for IR film, but your light meter may do a better job than mine with the IR part of the spectrum, so you should use the times posted in the chart as starting points and you will quickly develop a working method.

You can find more info in the Exposure section of the Infrared FAQ located here:

http://www.cocam.co.uk/CoCamWS/Infrared/INFRARED.HTM

You can use the ISO indications listed in the FAQ with the filtration specified. These settings relate to the use of a handheld meter, so if you are using a TTL meter in your camera, then you should be able to set the ISO to 400 and the meter will incorporate the speed loss of the filter. Run a test roll and then adjust exposures according to how your meter performs.
Digitaltruth Photo
https://www.digitaltruth.com

peterjcrowley

Thank you

Post by peterjcrowley »

Jon,
Thank you very much for pointing me in the correct direction. The link you provided is just what I needed. I did understand that bracketing and testing is very important with this film but your explanation of visible and infrared light and meter calibration is excellent for me to use with a hand held and TTL meters. thanks enjoy pjc
If you have integrity,nothing else matters.
If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.
Alan Simpson
PhotographicArt