Pan F+ in HC 110

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

shortstop

Pan F+ in HC 110

Post by shortstop »

Hi all,
I've developed a 120 roll of Pan F+ 50 ISO in HC 110, following the time indicated in APP massive development, but the negative is undoubtedly underdeveloped. Anyone can tell me the correct development time?

Ornello

Re: Pan F+ in HC 110

Post by Ornello »

Which dilution, and time? How old was the developer? Don't be sure it was underdeveloped until you print it!

shortstop

Post by shortstop »

The dilution was B and time 4 min. I'm sure it is undeveloped (also the frame numbers are pale).

shortstop

Post by shortstop »

Forgotten: the developer was bought 6 months ago

Digitaltruth
Site Admin

Post by Digitaltruth »

The 4 minute time is officially published by Ilford for Pan F+ in HC-110 for both 35mm and 120 roll film. Its possible that the developer concentrate is old and has lost activity, but its unlikely because HC-110 concentrate is pretty robust. The most likely causes are that it was mixed incorrectly, the temperature was inaccurate, or that the timing was too short. Generally, any time under 5 minutes is considered risky because of potentially timing issues. For example, if you pour the solution into the tank slowly it could take up to 30 seconds which is effectively reducing your dev time by 12.5%. If your temperature is off by a degree or two, this would also reduce the effective development by a similar percentage. Or, if too much water was used in creating the stock solution, this would cause similar problems. It is important to judge by the edge numbers, but sometimes these are misleading if the edges are in contact with the spiral, so you would need to compare to other rolls as there may also be underexposure. If you are sure that none of these things happened, then I would recommend trying to extend the time in future. The published time is just a guideline and any time under 5 minutes always has some element of risk.
Digitaltruth Photo
https://www.digitaltruth.com

shortstop

Post by shortstop »

I can try a dilution twice the B (so called dil H) and double the time plus a 25%. Globally a 10 min time development in dil H.

Aoresteen

Post by Aoresteen »

I've used 10 year old HC-110 with no issues. Right now I'm on a bottle that expired in Feb 2008 and I have no issues with the last 20 rolls of HP-5 I've developed. I don't think that it's the HC-110 as I've used it since 1975 and never had an issue with it.

My guess is it's the Pan F. Pan F is known to have a short shelf life. I'd shoot another roll with frames at EI 100, 50, 25, 12, 6 , 3. Develop in HC110-B at 20° C for 6 minuets. 4 minutes is way under. The fact that the frame numbers are weak indicates under-development.

It's been awhile since I used Pan-F as for the last 20 years I've used Agfapan 25 for my slow film. I'm down to my last 35mm bulk roll of AgfaPan 25 so I've just bought two fresh 100' rolls from B&H and I put them in the freezer. Once I'm out of AgfaPan 25 I will have to dial in Pan F with HC-110B.

Ornello

Post by Ornello »

I would not use HC110 with Pan-F, unless it was highly diluted.

pirateoversixty

Post by pirateoversixty »

Ornello:
What times would you suggest, and dilution? I have found Pan F+ to be a hassle, but I am stubborn, sort of. Might like to try it again.
jim m.

Ornello

Post by Ornello »

pirateoversixty wrote:Ornello:
What times would you suggest, and dilution? I have found Pan F+ to be a hassle, but I am stubborn, sort of. Might like to try it again.
jim m.

I would have no idea.

pirateoversixty

Post by pirateoversixty »

Have tried HC-110 diluted 1:120 on a roll 120 Fomapan 400 that was out of date that I picked out of a pile. Exposed at 200, stand developed for an hour. Yankee plastic reel tank. One hour was probably a bit too long. Negs did print ok wet print. NO bromide drag or other problems. Believe St. Ansel used this dilution occasionally. There is your very diluted , Ornello!!
Jim Meisenbach