Rodinal digitaltruth´s formula not working !? HELP

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

Andre Detry

Rodinal digitaltruth´s formula not working !? HELP

Post by Andre Detry »

HI everyone
Has anyone prepared Rodinal accorting to the formule of digitaltruth ????

www.digitaltruth.com/data/formula.php?FormulaID=151

I am asking because I did it and the results are catastrophicals !!! I get absolutely nothing on the films developed with that Rodinal ( Film transparent !!) .

I already prepared Fx2 And Beutler with formulas from digitaltruth and it works very fine !!

If somebody has information about this formula , please let me know !!!

I am in Guatemala and of course R09 or similar are not availables here , so I have to produce my own Rodinal !

Thanks . André

pirateoversixty

Re: Rodinal digitaltruth´s formula not working !? HELP

Post by pirateoversixty »

andre':

never used this formula, but have used formula for parodinal. much simpler, works about the same, I guess. Another alternative would be Kenny's version. See previous posts.
jim

KennyE

Post by KennyE »

Yes, the formula on Digitaltruth is totally incorrect.
Here is the correct formula for making a concentrated 500ml of Rodinal, AFGA's 1906 formula.

Water 350ml
Para-Amin 7.00 gms
Sodium Sulfite A 90-100.00 gms
Sodium Carbonate 4.00 gms
Sodium Hydroixde 10.00 gms

Use 1 liter boiled water, cooled to 120 degrees
mix the Sodium Sulfite first IN 150ml-200ml of cooled boiled water, followed by the Para-Amin
mix the Sodium Hydroixde in a glass jar of 150ml of cooled boiled water, in a pot of cold water, to cool the Hydroixde as you mix it. Now add the sodium carbonate to the Para-Amin mix..., then mix in the caustic soda little by little until it is all mixed in. Add 50ml more of water, pour the solution into a bottle with a cap, and shake up the bottle to well mix the formula. Now add 50ml-100ml to make a 500ml concentrated solution. Shake up mixture some more, then next..., filter..., if required.

To use, dilute 1-40 or 1-60, develop for 8-12 minutes to start. For super fine grain, dilute 1-80 or 1-100 develop for 25 -30 minutes using stand development methods. But remember, if you use Rodinal at 1-10 or 1-20, you may want to add some bromide. 10% solution.
Last edited by KennyE on Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Digitaltruth
Site Admin

Post by Digitaltruth »

Kenny,

You sent us a bunch of data which we added to the site and checked the veracity of with you, but now you say the data on our site is incorrect.

Can you please contact me by email and follow up on this so that I can be sure the data is accurate?

Thanks.
Digitaltruth Photo
https://www.digitaltruth.com

KennyE

Post by KennyE »

Jon everything in the Rodinal formula for mixing the chemicals is correct. It is the amount of the chemicals being used that are incorrect.

p-Aminophenol Hydrochloride 20g; should be 7-10 grams for 500ml-1000ml solutions
Potassium Metabisulfite 60g; should be 90-100 grams for 500ml-1000ml
Sodium Hydroxide 25 g; should be 10-12 grams for 500ml-1000ml

Using 20 grams of p-Aminophenol Hydrochloride would give you crystal clear negatives with no imagines in a 1000ml solution. And the lack of metabisulfite will over develop the negative.

It is my fault, really, because I never came by to the site to check the information that was posted. I had lost one of my homes in Texas to storm floods, in both 2015 and 2017 and could not afford the time.

I wanted to get back to the forum, but my property lost and damages was huge. And because I live in Michigan, they (the locals) looted my home. And the local law enforcement, would not let me in to the area in 2017, for three weeks.

KennyE
Last edited by KennyE on Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Digitaltruth
Site Admin

Post by Digitaltruth »

The formula has now been updated in the online version and will be updated in the app at the next upgrade later this month.
Digitaltruth Photo
https://www.digitaltruth.com

Ornello

Post by Ornello »

Just buy it. Sodium hydroxide is a powerful alkali, not to be messed with by amateurs.