120, D-76 (1:1), Tri-X 400 Underexposed

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

oquillia

120, D-76 (1:1), Tri-X 400 Underexposed

Post by oquillia »

Hi there --

I've recently used your apps profile to develop Tri-X 400 120 film using D-76 (1:1) developer from two different cameras - Pentacon 6 and Mamiya C330f.

Although I have used your apps suggested profile for this combo, they both came out dark and underexposed. I've seen articles online from other users saying the same thing.

Is there anything I can do to help bump up the exposure and get less bulky/blurry grain?

Thanks!

Digitaltruth
Site Admin

Re: 120, D-76 (1:1), Tri-X 400 Underexposed

Post by Digitaltruth »

Hi,

The time of 9 3/4 minutes is the official time published by Kodak for Tri-X 400 in D-76 1+1. This is a common combination used by many people over a long time, so it should be a very reliable starting point.

You say that your film is underexposed. If that is the case, then it is your light metering which is causing the negatives to be thin, not the development.

If you do find that the exposure is OK in subsequent rolls, then your film might be affected by other variables, so you should extend the time by 15% and see if you get a better result.
Digitaltruth Photo
https://www.digitaltruth.com

Keith Tapscott.

Post by Keith Tapscott. »

As already mentioned, it is almost certainly an exposure issue. Try exposing at the meter setting and then take another photo at a whole stop more generous. You will find that the tonality is aesthetically much nicer if you err towards slight overexposure with most B&W films.

By sticking with this combination, you will soon learn how to get the best from it by making minor adjustments to exposure and if necessary, the development.

Ornello

Post by Ornello »

You say 'dark'. Do you mean the negatives? It could be overexposure!