Low Down on Dilution

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

brianentz

Low Down on Dilution

Post by brianentz »

I've never really experimented with diluting my developers. Usually I just dilute 1:1. I'm told that by diluting more it introduces more sharpness, but also more grain. Is that true? I'm told also that when pushing tri-x to 1600 or 3200 diluting the developer will preserve image quality. Is that true? Apart from economizing on developer costs, what is the advantage of using weaker dilutions? I don't mind waiting on longer development times for better image qualities, but I don't really need to economize that much on developer costs.

Ornello

Re: Low Down on Dilution

Post by Ornello »

brianentz wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:33 am I've never really experimented with diluting my developers. Usually I just dilute 1:1. I'm told that by diluting more it introduces more sharpness, but also more grain. Is that true? I'm told also that when pushing tri-x to 1600 or 3200 diluting the developer will preserve image quality. Is that true? Apart from economizing on developer costs, what is the advantage of using weaker dilutions? I don't mind waiting on longer development times for better image qualities, but I don't really need to economize that much on developer costs.
'Pushing' is a fallacy: it doesn't work. No matter what you do, you cannot compensate for underexposure. Underexposure is forever! Don't listen to any of this nonsense.

Use T-Max P3200 is you need a faster film. Its true speed is about ISO 1000.

Diluting solvent developers like D-76 does change the results slightly. You may get a little better sharpness and a little more pronounced gain, but the differences are not great. The main advantage is better process control. Diluting slows down the developer action and allows a longer developing time. You may also notice a little less highlight density, which can be good with high-contrast scenes.

Jim Appleyard

Post by Jim Appleyard »

Right! There is NO WAY that you can underexpose film and pull a decent image out of it!

Tri-X in Diafine. 3 min. each bath. EI 1000.
Attachments
1234M-47.jpg
1234M-47.jpg (225.79 KiB) Viewed 14504 times

pentaxpete

Post by pentaxpete »

Many years ago in 'Practical Photography Magazine; the staff did some experiments on the 'FFDD' technique ' Fast Film Dilute Developer' and diluted D76 / IDii 1+4 and gave 45 mins time and reckoned they could uprate films massively. They did HP4 or was it HP5 to 1600 ASA .
Got COMPUTERISED and 'slightly Digitised Pentax K10D' but FILM STILL RULES !