Anyone tried the new 'Promicrol'?

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

KennyE

Re: Anyone tried the new 'Promicrol'?

Post by KennyE »

Ian:

One of the reasons that few have replied to your post on "Promicrol". Is that the supply of the chemical is very, very, rare. When surplus houses get their hands on HEAP, they sale it quickly and at a high price. So if you want to get it, you will have to obtain a list of chemical surplus dealers and surf the web every day, just to keep on top of it.

The problem is that you can not just buy 1 kilo, and if you did, it would be about $2,500.00 dollars. And that is a lot of money to tie up on one chemical.

In the USA, as of January 1st, 2014, no one can make Edison light bulbs. Nor can they be imported. So the available stock is going fast and the prices are going up and up on those bulbs. I will be purchasing extra bulbs for my enlargers, flood lights, and a host of other equipment, to ensure that I have a supply.

Things have changed for the worst Ian. I remember when my parents used an Ice Box to keep our food cold, because they could not afford to purchase the new GE refrigerator in 1949. It was not until 1957, did we get funds to purchase a refrigerator.

Now the government is forcing people to purchase the new technology, even if you can not afford it. They do this by banning the old and present technology. It is similar to Microsoft, every two to three years there is a new operating system and to force you to purchase it, they stop supporting the old ones. Those OS's cost a pretty penny. That means that in a 12 year span, you will be forced to purchase at least 3 new OS systems, at approx. $120.00 dollars a pop.

You can not fight city hall or progress.

Thank You

KennyE

irivlin

Post by irivlin »

I can [/i]try[/i] to change City Hall! If enough of us work at it, it'll happen.
Bloody ridiculous about incandescent light bulbs. It's all this nonsense about global warming. The US isn't seeing much global warming at the moment.
If I can buy 10kg of HEAP, I think I will. Australian Customs haven't heard of it and couldn't comment on whether it will be let in our not. - We'll see. I think that, just like those brave souls who've resuscitated "Autochrome" even though the work must have been phenomenal, I can't let Promicrol die off without a really good fight.
I will beat City Hall.

KennyE

Post by KennyE »

Well, the only thing that I can say is "good luck".

These governments today have obtain greater wealth, yet they have become less efficient. The leaders today want to be "headliners or celebrities". Even before they have taken office, it is "all about them", and hell with the people that put them there.

We do our best to place the best possible person in office, but we (the people) are discovering that they are all lairs. And the choices and new comers are just as bad as the last batch.

If you can fight city hall and win. You will be remembered. HEAP is a hard chemical to come by, here in America. The surplus chemical firms all have the number and eyes out for any available HEAP in America. And they will make you pay dearly for it, because everyone wants to be the next billionaire.

Thank You

KeenyE

Fotohuis

Post by Fotohuis »

In the USA, as of January 1st, 2014, no one can make Edison light bulbs. Nor can they be imported. So the available stock is going fast and the prices are going up and up on those bulbs. I will be purchasing extra bulbs for my enlargers, flood lights, and a host of other equipment, to ensure that I have a supply.
Already two years in Europe. But there is an exception in special bulbs for medical and photography but it means prices are going up rapidly because this market is awfull small.
If I can buy 10kg of HEAP, I think I will.
I checked again in the offer from some German chemical suppliers but they can not deliver it, exit for me.
"De enige beperking in je fotografie ben je zelf"

http://www.FotohuisRoVo.nl
http://gallery.fotohuisrovo.nl/

irivlin

Post by irivlin »

I have placed the orders. (Thee separate Chinese companies). One of them just looks like a trading company. Naturally, I'm fully anticipating that they all send me bags of sand instead of the real chemical. I can make up some Promicrol or Atomal of I can get an accurate formula bi does anyone know how I might test (or have tested) the samples I receive? I can sprinkle some of the chemical over a Bunsen burner and see what its color is but that hardly is a chemical assay. I really need a gas chromatograph or Walter White. Any suggestions?
Ian

KennyE

Post by KennyE »

irivlin wrote:I have placed the orders. (Thee separate Chinese companies). One of them just looks like a trading company. Naturally, I'm fully anticipating that they all send me bags of sand instead of the real chemical. I can make up some Promicrol or Atomal of I can get an accurate formula bi does anyone know how I might test (or have tested) the samples I receive? I can sprinkle some of the chemical over a Bunsen burner and see what its color is but that hardly is a chemical assay. I really need a gas chromatograph or Walter White. Any suggestions?
Ian
Fotohuis, was in a post with some people about a year or so ago, where one of them posted what they stated was Afga's Atomal formula. It was on Flickr, but I can not remember what subject they were posting about. Robert, do you remember the post?

Thank You

KennyE

irivlin

Post by irivlin »

Can anyone address my concerns re whether the HEAP I'm supposed to be receiving is real or not.

Fotohuis

Post by Fotohuis »

where one of them posted what they stated was Afga's Atomal formula.
It is on page 212 of The Darkroom Cookbook. Which source is from just after WWII when the Americans got a lot of information of the Agfa factory in (then East) Germany, later the OrWo Calbe chemical plant.
I do not think any better information is available.

Fotohuis

Post by Fotohuis »

KennyE

Post by KennyE »

I am posting a part of that post that Robert is referring too below.

Robert was in error when he stated that CD2 is no longer available, because it is available from Photographer Formulary, I purchased about 100 grams of it. But it is in no way a replacement for HEAP.

2N(beta-hydroxyethyl) aminophenol sulphate, is a far cry from CD2. Only Agfa used it in their color process, but even they switched over to PPD agents in the early 1960's. But I am hoping to come across their old 1930's and 1950 color process chemicals, in my many yard sale outings.

I have been speaking with my close friends at Oakland University and Wayne State U, here in the Detroit area, and they will be asking the information that I seek, about making 2N(beta-hydroxyethyl) aminophenol sulphate in their labs at the university, from their contacts at Dow Chemical, here in Michigan.

I have about one pound of base aminophenol, plus some of the other chemicals. I just need to know the process of obtaining it. And if I can get this infor, I will create about 30 to 50 grams, to play around with.

Here is a copy of the formula you posted Robert. Does it look correct?

Package A:
Oxyethyl-ortho-aminophenol 6g
Pyrocatechin 10g
Hydroquinone 4g

Package B:
Sodiumsulfite sicc. 100g
Sodiumcarbonate sicc. 25g
Potassiumbromide 1g
Sodiummetaphosphate 1g

Dissolve in 750 ml of water of 50° Celsius. Cold Water to make 1 litre.

Thank You

KennyE

Fotohuis

Post by Fotohuis »

Yes, that is the Atomal formulae.

KennyE

Post by KennyE »

O.K., Ian, I have come across the following information for you, so take a look see and decide if it is of any use to you and your project. If it is, I think that I have a source for obtaining that primary agent. And it will be expensive, it always is.

Thank You

KennyE

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=pate ... 610122.pdf

KennyE

Post by KennyE »

Ian:

p-Methylaminophenol sulfate, is available only. But a license is required. It is from Yixing Xinyu Chemicals Co., Ltd. in China. It is labled "dangerous to humans and the environment. Cost, is $5,354.00 per kilo.

Or you can make your own. It is dangerous to make. Simple to do, but illegal in the US.

Thank You

KennyE

pentaxpete

Post by pentaxpete »

Kenny : that is just 'METOLsurely ? I have a couple of jar fulls and use it with Hydroquinone and Phenidone in various formulae.
Got COMPUTERISED and 'slightly Digitised Pentax K10D' but FILM STILL RULES !

KennyE

Post by KennyE »

I am sorry everyone, I meant to post 2-methyl-5-N-(beta-hydroxyethyl)amino phenol.

I will be off line for a while. I lost my sister yesterday as I was posting, she past away in her medical bed, quitely. I have lost four of my seven siblings and I am so lonely without them. They were all in their young ages, 70 or less. I can not believe they are leaving me here alone, when I have never been without them. It worries me deeply.

Thank You

KeenyE