Developing times for ILford PAN Films in X-tall...

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

Minalush_16

Developing times for ILford PAN Films in X-tall...

Post by Minalush_16 »

Why can't I find anywhere in the Internet, includding the MassDeveloping chart, developing times for Ilford PAN films in X-tall... I have one Ilford pan 400 film, exposed as 800 and a lot of X-tall developer - I have to develop and scan it as soon as possible, but I'm ill and I can't go and buy any other developer... Also I noticed - that for some films developing times in X-tall is longer, than developing times in D-76, and for others it is shorter...

Keith Tapscott.

Re: Developing times for ILford PAN Films in X-tall...

Post by Keith Tapscott. »

Minalush_16 wrote:Why can't I find anywhere in the Internet, includding the MassDeveloping chart, developing times for Ilford PAN films in X-tall... I have one Ilford pan 400 film, exposed as 800 and a lot of X-tall developer - I have to develop and scan it as soon as possible, but I'm ill and I can't go and buy any other developer... Also I noticed - that for some films developing times in X-tall is longer, than developing times in D-76, and for others it is shorter...
I found a fact sheet for the Ilford Pan 100 & 400 films but there`s no mention of X-tol developer.
http://www.ilford.com/html/us_english/p ... 00&400.pdf
Is there any particular reason why you are using these films over the better FP4 Plus, Hp5 Plus and Delta series films for which Xtol times are available?

Minalush_16

And by the way - what's the practical difference ...

Post by Minalush_16 »

What's the difference between Ilford Pan films and FP4 Plus, Hp5 Plus, Delta films ? Sometimes I buy films, that coast less, to find out, the way they are worse, than most expensive ones... Of course, Ilford Pan has more narrow "exposure width", but in general it's not a bad film. My grandfather became a photographer in 1924 - now I'm scanning his films' that were shot during the War of 1941-45, mostly AGFA films, captured from the Germans...
Maybe you have compared these Ilford films, and if you know the significant difference between them - please tell me and the other, who still use "chemical photography"...

Digitaltruth
Site Admin

Post by Digitaltruth »

In a situation like this where there are no published times you need to extrapolate a starting point by looking at times published for other developers. Although there is no data for Ilford Pan 100 and Pan 400 in Xtol, there is data for FP4+ and HP5+ which are also manufactured by Ilford. The times given for these films in Xtol stock and 1+1 solutions is similar to the times for ID-11/D-76.

I would run a test roll using the times listed for Ilford Pan 100 and Pan 400 in ID-11. You will certainly get a useable result, and you can work out whether you want to increase or decrease the time for subsequent rolls.
Digitaltruth Photo
https://www.digitaltruth.com

Keith Tapscott.

Re: And by the way - what's the practical difference ...

Post by Keith Tapscott. »

Minalush_16 wrote:What's the difference between Ilford Pan films and FP4 Plus, Hp5 Plus, Delta films ? Sometimes I buy films, that coast less, to find out, the way they are worse, than most expensive ones... Of course, Ilford Pan has more narrow "exposure width", but in general it's not a bad film. My grandfather became a photographer in 1924 - now I'm scanning his films' that were shot during the War of 1941-45, mostly AGFA films, captured from the Germans...
Maybe you have compared these Ilford films, and if you know the significant difference between them - please tell me and the other, who still use "chemical photography"...
Hello again,
I wasn`t suggesting that the films were bad, on the contrary I expect they are of a high standard but I suspect they may be either the same emulsions as FP4 and HP5 (pre-plus versions) or the earlier generation Delta films each series now superceded by newer and better emulsions.
If you`re happy with them, then keep using these films as long as they`re available.
http://www.firstcall-photographic.co.uk ... 35-36.html