Developing colourslidefilm in b&w film developer

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

harmanvalo

Developing colourslidefilm in b&w film developer

Post by harmanvalo »

Hello
I got a batch of expired ( I mean ancient, not only few months old, these have years on their shoulders) mediumformat colour slide film. I want to experiment with them a little and am thinkig on developing them in black and white negative developer. Does anyone have any recommendations or experiences to share on this kind of work? All help is greatly appreciated.

Horsholm

Post by Horsholm »

I will not work at all. :cry:

B/W is silver base and color is based on other cemicals

ANDERS from DENMARK

Ornello

Re: Developing colourslidefilm in b&w film developer

Post by Ornello »

harmanvalo wrote:Hello
I got a batch of expired ( I mean ancient, not only few months old, these have years on their shoulders) mediumformat colour slide film. I want to experiment with them a little and am thinkig on developing them in black and white negative developer. Does anyone have any recommendations or experiences to share on this kind of work? All help is greatly appreciated.
For reasons too tedious and boring to describe, just throw it away. It won't make satisfactory B&W negatives.

theeternalturtle

Post by theeternalturtle »

Don't listen to them; I've wondered this myself and have been meaning to do experiments with it (kinda like putting crappy negatives into a microwave - they turn into awesome negatives......) I've seen kids who have no idea what they're doing shoot color film by accident, and then try to develop it in BW chemicals in my school's lab. THe results aren't too interesting, but if you want to try it, go ahead. SOMETHING DOES HAPPEN, it's just nearly impossible to predict until you actually give it a shot. Actually, this was color neg film, not slide...

I think you should try anyways.

harmanvalo

Post by harmanvalo »

Thank you for your replies. I am not trying to make perfect negatives out of these films, for that I have real b&w film, but to experiment with them, some ideas on development times short, long or very long?, and perhaps other things to consider...they might come out really bad or really crazy, the saddest thing is if nothing happens.

Ornello

Post by Ornello »

harmanvalo wrote:Thank you for your replies. I am not trying to make perfect negatives out of these films, for that I have real b&w film, but to experiment with them, some ideas on development times short, long or very long?, and perhaps other things to consider...they might come out really bad or really crazy, the saddest thing is if nothing happens.
Slide film has color couplers in it. These will produce a sort of grey opalescentce on the film. Trust me, you won't get anything useful from this.

circleofconfusion

Post by circleofconfusion »

When I saw your question it made me think "I'm sure I've seen something on that subject" After a bit of a rummage through my photo books I found a reference in Richard Platt's "Photo Data"

He says that a colour film processed in mono chemistry should produce a useable image. It will be stained yellow or orange but it should print OK as mono.

He also claims that it may be possible to recover a colour image by a process of bleaching and processing as C41. I can post the full procedure if anyone is interested.
---
"I love the smell of fixer in the morning...."
www.silverhalide.co.uk

harmanvalo

Post by harmanvalo »

Hello!
I developed an Ektachrome 400 film in Rodinal 1+25 as a test. This film is really old ( expired in 1983 ). Exposing it generously I got extremely dense looking green tinted B&W negatives, which I haven't tried to print yet. But there are real pictures on the film. Anyway now I have somewhere to go from here...one subject one film and bracketing heavily Perhaps I can glean out something out of this batch of 15 rolls of old slide film...

circleofconfusion

Post by circleofconfusion »

Nice one :) I'm glad you got something out of it!
You'll have to scan your results so we can all see what happened.
---
"I love the smell of fixer in the morning...."
www.silverhalide.co.uk

countess

Post by countess »

How did these turn out?
I just got some BW slide film that im going to run through normal bw processing. anyone done this before?

Fotohuis

Post by Fotohuis »

http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl/documentatie/F_pan_R_en.pdf

That's the way to develop a B&W reversal film.

If you have a B&W reversal film, e.g. Scala on normal negative developer processing (e.g. Rodinal 1+25) you will get a rather normal negative.
Scala has a clear base and high resolution especially for reverse processing. Scala also works in the Foma R100 reverse processing developer kit.
"De enige beperking in je fotografie ben je zelf"

http://www.FotohuisRoVo.nl
http://gallery.fotohuisrovo.nl/

bob100684

something that might work pretty well

Post by bob100684 »

maximization: http://www.darkroom.org/pages.php?page=Maximization

Looks interesting, C-41 lab around here isnt cooperative in proscesing my film....but I'm going back home in a few weeks for winter break and I'm sure my old job will do it for me.