Clayton F76+ Developer turned brown?

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

Kiup00

Clayton F76+ Developer turned brown?

Post by Kiup00 »

Hello,

I picked up a couple of 1 Quart bottles of Clayton F76+ about 6 months ago. I only used about 50ml of my second bottle and then it has sat for about 5 months in my lab fridge. I pulled it out and it is completely brown. For some reason I remember it being clear when I purchased it. Is it toast? Any thoughts or experiences?

Digitaltruth
Site Admin

Post by Digitaltruth »

That's strange. F76plus in phenidone-based and has a long shelf life. I am personally using a half empty bottle that is two years old. It is clear and works perfectly, so I can vouch for its longevity 100%. If the developer has darkened then this usually indicates exhaustion, but I'm sure Lowell Huff from Clayton will respond shortly and give you more information.

Did you buy the product from a store where it might have been sitting in inclement conditions on a shelf for several years? This is the only way I can imagine it would turn brown so quickly.

The supply we sell online is factory-direct and guaranteed fresh.
Digitaltruth Photo
https://www.digitaltruth.com

Keith Tapscott.

Post by Keith Tapscott. »

Jon Mided wrote: F76plus in phenidone-based and has a long shelf life. I am personally using a half empty bottle that is two years old. It is clear and works perfectly, so I can vouch for its longevity 100%.
That`s encouraging news Jon as I have heard from a source that Paterson are interested in marketing Clayton chemicals in the UK.

Digitaltruth
Site Admin

F76+ in the UK

Post by Digitaltruth »

Hi Keith,

I saw your posting here and in rec.photo.darkroom regarding Paterson selling Clayton products in the UK. At the moment although I believe both companies have been in contact with one another, there is no specific plan that I am aware of.

Although the shipping costs of liquid chemicals are high due to their weight, we can ship F76+ to the UK by parcel post. The shelf life and overall capacity of the solution means that the overall cost is still relatively economical.

F76+ is phenidone-based whereas D76 and ID-11 use metol as the developing agent. Phenidone-based products have a longer shelf-life and lower toxicity than metol-based developers. F76+ produces excellent results with all materials, particularly TMax emulsions.
Digitaltruth Photo
https://www.digitaltruth.com

Keith Tapscott.

Re: F76+ in the UK

Post by Keith Tapscott. »

Jon Mided wrote:Hi Keith,

I saw your posting here and in rec.photo.darkroom regarding Paterson selling Clayton products in the UK. At the moment although I believe both companies have been in contact with one another, there is no specific plan that I am aware of.

Although the shipping costs of liquid chemicals are high due to their weight, we can ship F76+ to the UK by parcel post. The shelf life and overall capacity of the solution means that the overall cost is still relatively economical.

F76+ is phenidone-based whereas D76 and ID-11 use metol as the developing agent. Phenidone-based products have a longer shelf-life and lower toxicity than metol-based developers. F76+ produces excellent results with all materials, particularly TMax emulsions.
Thanks for your reply Jon, D-76 has been my regular developer for more years than I care to recall. The 1 US gallon size gets a bit too much these days and the 1 litre sizes aren`t such good value for money, so a liquid that provides a similar yield with a decent shelf life is welcome.
DD-X is quite good, but a touch on the expensive side.
As long as F-76 Plus gives similar results with FP4 Plus, HP5 Plus, Neopan 1600 and HIE infra-red, then I`ll be happy.
Cheers.