MAJOR NEW PRODUCT ANNOUNCEMENT: SILVERGRAIN

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

Digitaltruth
Site Admin

MAJOR NEW PRODUCT ANNOUNCEMENT: SILVERGRAIN

Post by Digitaltruth »

Digitaltruth Photo announces the release of the Silvergrain range of photo chemicals, formulated by Ryuji Suzuki.

This is a truly exciting announcement because Silvergrain products are the first to make use of the latest research in modern photo chemistry and represent a major advance over other products currently on the market. Quite simply, Silvergrain is the best photo chemistry that has ever been produced.

Silvergrain b/w chemicals are formulated with the following aims:

*to reduce toxicity beyond levels currently available
*to maximize shelf-life and longevity of all solutions
*to produce the finest results possible
*to provide unsurpassed archival quality

For more information please visit:

http://www.digitaltruth.com/store/silvergrain.html

The first phase of products includes:

Tektol Standard - is a liquid concentrate print developer designed to maximize the paper's natural image property with rich blacks and natural whites. Tektol Standard is the ideal choice for printers who stock a warmtone paper, a neutral paper, and a coldtone paper and select the paper to meet the desired image quality, and is further optimized to produce the maximum effect when used in conjunction with print toners.

Tektol Neutral - a liquid concentrate print developer designed to provide neutral black tones with most papers. Some popular papers tend to provide slightly warm blacks or olive blacks when processed in a standard print developer, but this developer will minimize this bias while maintaining rich blacks and bright whites. Tektol Neutral is the ideal choice for printers who prefer a neutral black tone out of their favorite papers.

Clearfix Alkaline - a standard archival rapid fixer, ideal for both films and prints. This rapid fixer is designed to expedite fixing as well as the washing speed, without any adverse effect to the image quality or permanence. Most films and RC papers can be washed to the archival level in a matter of minutes. If you are still using an acid rapid fixer, this is the product you have been waiting for to speed up washing and achieve archival standards.

Clearwash - a wash aid supplied in convenient, highly concentrated liquid stock. Clearwash works very similarly to Kodak Hypo Clearing Agent without the mess of powder chemicals. Unlike many other wash aid products being offered in liquid concentrate form, this product is designed to optimize the shelf life as well as the tray life of the solution and improves archival quality.

More products, including film developers, will be added to the Silvergrain range in 2006-7.

Silvergrain products are available exclusively from Digitaltruth Photo.
Last edited by Digitaltruth on Wed May 31, 2006 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Digitaltruth Photo
https://www.digitaltruth.com

foolscape

Silvergrain

Post by foolscape »

I can't wait to try these. I've been a Digitaltruth customer for the last year (since I completed my darkroom), and I buy most of my raw chemicals here. I've been looking for a way to become more environmentally sound in the darkroom; after all, I'm a nature photographer. I currnetly mix my own Ansco 130 and vary it based on my needs. I'm assuming that these are Phenidone / Ascorbic acid-based developers, like PC-TEA and such (I could be wrong). My question is: can contrast be more effectively controlled by varying dilutions, or can developer or alkalai be added to the solution. I understand that the formulas are propriatary, but I'm a tinkerer by nature and can't leave anything well enough alone. I also often use graded papers, and I like to be able to fine tune contrast by altering the chemistry.

Sooner or later, someone was going to ask this question. I figured I'd just get it out of the way so that everyone could get on with the thrill of creation.

Thanks!
--Gary

Digitaltruth
Site Admin

Post by Digitaltruth »

Hi Gary,

Although your instincts may tell you to tinker, in this case it would be advisable not to alter the formulation. The products are highly refined and the research which has gone into them is second to none.

Papers all respond differently and we have not tested every paper with Tektol, but we hope to over time. If you read the technical information pages located here, you will find further information about the products, and different ways to use them:

http://www.digitaltruth.com/store/silve ... ektol.html
http://www.digitaltruth.com/store/silve ... dwash.html

It is possible to control the image tone to very exacting standards by using either Tektol Standard, Tektol Neutral or a combination of the two in different dilutions. This is where you can have fun tinkering, because the possibilities are endless. In general, you can usually affect contrast to some degree with any print developer by altering the concentration of the solution, but a lot will depend on the paper and the tonal separation of the image. It can often be difficult to distinguish visually between increased warmth of an image and reduced contrast, and vice-versa, but by altering the dilution and using a combination of the two developers you will have a good time experimenting.

Please send your feedback to this forum when you have had time to work with the Silvergrain products because I'm sure there are a lot of people that would be interested in your results.
Digitaltruth Photo

Digitaltruth
Site Admin

Post by Digitaltruth »

We are ahead of schedule, so the Silvergrain products are now shipping!

The special opening offers will remain available until next Tuesday (May 30th)
Digitaltruth Photo

foolscape

Silvergrain

Post by foolscape »

I'll take your word for it. I made some prints in Formulary Amidol on Kentmere Bromide paper a couple weeks ago. If Silvergrain can match them, I'll be impressed.

--Gary