Lesser-known Kodak formulae

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

PeanutHorst

Lesser-known Kodak formulae

Post by PeanutHorst »

Hello.

I'm a newcomer to these forums, after lurking a while. I have noted that your database of Kodak chemicals is somewhat incomplete, for instance, DK-15 is not present, nor is D-82.

I am working on a project to digitize the formulae for these older, yet very robust and reliable developers. Also in this project will be included some of the Ilford chemicals now buried in lost memory.

I was wondering if anyone on these forums would have use for this data, or if they might possess some of the formulae for these chemicals.

Much Thanks.
My cameras:

Ricoh XR-1s, 55mm SMC Pentax lense
Asahi Pentax KX, Astron 28-70mm lense
Rolleiflex 3.5C
Zeiss Ikonta
Linhoff large-format camera

PeanutHorst

Post by PeanutHorst »

Oh, and just to show I'm not coming to the table empty handed, I bring you Pyro!
This shows the sort of thing i am archiving.

D-1 Three-Solution Pyro Developer

Solution A

166mL Water, approximately 52 degrees Celsius
3.26 grams Sodium Bisulphite
20.0 grams Pyrogallic Acid
0.37 grams Potassium Bromide
330mL Water to make up to

Solution B

330mL Water
35.0 grams Sodium Sulphite Anhydrous

Solution C

330mL Water
25.0 grams Sodium Carbonate Anhydrous

Directions:

Prepare fresh developer for each batch of films to be processed.

For tray development, take 1 part of Solution A, 1 part of Solution B, 1 part of Solution C, and 7 parts of water (at 21 degrees Celsius).
Develop 4 to 6 minutes at 21 degrees Celsius.

For tank development, take 70mL each of Solutions A, B, and C, combine them and add to them water (at 21 degrees Celsius) sufficient to make 1 litre. At this rate, the above solutions can make 4 batches of fresh developer.
Develop for approximately 10 minutes at a temperature of 21 degrees Celsius.
Note: Any scum that forms over the surface of the developer must be removed by means of a sheet of blotting paper before development commences, or else stains may result.
My cameras:

Rolleiflex 3.5C
Zeiss Ikonta

Digitaltruth
Site Admin

Post by Digitaltruth »

Hi PeanutHorst,

The list of formulas is always a work in progress and is updated periodically. I have copies of almost every formula which has ever been published, but it is hard to find time to go through them and extract the ones which will be most useful to people.

All the formulas you mention are already on the site, so I am confused that you were not able to locate them. Having double-checked after reading your message I noticed that the D-82 formula had been left out of the menu, but is in fact in our database here: http://www.digitaltruth.com/techdata/kodak_d82.php . I will amend the menu today so that it is accessible. The formulas for both DK-15 and D-1 were added to the chart at least 4-5 months ago, so perhaps for some reason you are looking at an older version of the menu. Please re-enter the site from the home page and click the link for Technical Data. Its probably easier if you then also click the "View Alphabetically" link in the top right corner to scan the list. If for any reason you don't see the developers you mention, please let me know, but the only other thing I can think of is that your browser has cached the menu page from six months ago and you will need to refresh or dump the cache.

At this stage, updates are usually being carried out when people write in requesting a specific formula or suggesting that we add certain information. If you want to submit data to be published in the format we use, then we are happy to credit your help and would welcome any input.
Digitaltruth Photo
https://www.digitaltruth.com

PeanutHorst

Post by PeanutHorst »

OK, with that single remark you earnt the majority of my respect.

I doubt as to whether some of the older chemicals may be here, for instance ones with content now not encouraged (Ektasol E-3, E-4, Ektaflo II, et al.) but just in case they are, i'll poke around.

I came across a databook from the TRUE era of photography, the 1950s and 60s, when people weren't generally too scared to muck about a bit, and daylight tanks were all the rage ;)

I have been learning mainly for some time, but I hope that you will consider whatever competence I have developed to be at your disposal as required.

Also, Jolly good show on the Rodinal formula - I've been searching for that since I first used the developer about 4 months ago. You've done a marvellous job :)
My cameras:

Rolleiflex 3.5C
Zeiss Ikonta

Ornello

Re: Lesser-known Kodak formulae

Post by Ornello »

PeanutHorst wrote:Hello.

I'm a newcomer to these forums, after lurking a while. I have noted that your database of Kodak chemicals is somewhat incomplete, for instance, DK-15 is not present, nor is D-82.

I am working on a project to digitize the formulae for these older, yet very robust and reliable developers. Also in this project will be included some of the Ilford chemicals now buried in lost memory.

I was wondering if anyone on these forums would have use for this data, or if they might possess some of the formulae for these chemicals.

Much Thanks.
Some of the older formulas are not good with modern materials. The Crawley FX series, in their latest versions, are recommended without qualification.

Many can be found here:

http://www.jackspcs.com/fdev.htm