A lil help. 'Cause I'm awesome! (fp4+ development)

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

false_Aesthetic

A lil help. 'Cause I'm awesome! (fp4+ development)

Post by false_Aesthetic »

Hey-o,

I used to shoot NPS160 (160s) at night. Good fun times!!! (http://anti-aesthetic.net). When I did that, to save some of the detail in the highlights, I'd make 2 exposures and sew them together in photoshop.

I'm really interested in doing similar work but with b/w film. And since I finally got my 4x5 up and running, I figure it might be a GREAT time to try this stuff.

I'm not a super uber techno-awesome-geek. (I wish I was but as my profile says . . . I like girls as much as I do silver halide) and it's been a while since I did b/w stuff.

I'd really like to hold "some" detail in the highlights and would love to do this w/out the aid of photoshop. (i.e. film + developer = sexy neg).

I've been looking at "The Negative" and have found a few suggestions, but I have no idea how they'd work with today's "thinner emulsion" film. (I'm using fp4+).

Any suggestions.

Oh yeah. I rate fp4 at 100 and add 2/3 stop for reciprocity failure (exposures are kind've long) and when I do that my shadows end up where I want them when I develop with d-76 1:1 for 10 min.

I dunno if this makes a difference.
______
I am the Thomas Kinkade of photography.
I AM THE PHOTOGRAPHER OF LIGHT!
______

Ornello

Re: A lil help. 'Cause I'm awesome! (fp4+ development)

Post by Ornello »

false_Aesthetic wrote:Hey-o,

I used to shoot NPS160 (160s) at night. Good fun times!!! (http://anti-aesthetic.net). When I did that, to save some of the detail in the highlights, I'd make 2 exposures and sew them together in photoshop.

I'm really interested in doing similar work but with b/w film. And since I finally got my 4x5 up and running, I figure it might be a GREAT time to try this stuff.

I'm not a super uber techno-awesome-geek. (I wish I was but as my profile says . . . I like girls as much as I do silver halide) and it's been a while since I did b/w stuff.

I'd really like to hold "some" detail in the highlights and would love to do this w/out the aid of photoshop. (i.e. film + developer = sexy neg).

I've been looking at "The Negative" and have found a few suggestions, but I have no idea how they'd work with today's "thinner emulsion" film. (I'm using fp4+).

Any suggestions.

Oh yeah. I rate fp4 at 100 and add 2/3 stop for reciprocity failure (exposures are kind've long) and when I do that my shadows end up where I want them when I develop with d-76 1:1 for 10 min.

I dunno if this makes a difference.
I'm not sure what your question is.

pentaxpete

Stitching 4x5 negs?

Post by pentaxpete »

I think he is talking about joining two exposures in photoshop from 4x5 negs. The negs would have to be scanned first. Why not use a 'compensating' developer and you would get the night scenes OK without all the digital trouble. Your technique of rating FP4+ and giving more for reciprocity failure seems sound.
Got COMPUTERISED and 'slightly Digitised Pentax K10D' but FILM STILL RULES !