Large-Format (8x10 inch) Cameras.

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

Keith Tapscott.

Large-Format (8x10 inch) Cameras.

Post by Keith Tapscott. »

I am considering buying (second-hand), an 8x10 format camera.
Any suggestions on various cameras to try would be appreciated. :?:

Jay DeFehr

Post by Jay DeFehr »

Hi Keith.

Which camera would suit you best depends on what you want to do with it. If you'll be shooting a lot of architectural stuff, you'll want good WA/short- FL performance, bag bellows, etc., and full, preferrably geared movements front and rear. If you'll be doing mostly portraiture, you'll want lots of bellows draw, a large lensboard, and might be willing to sacrifice some movements, and tolerate some weight for rigidity at full extension. For landscape work, something in between the two extremes. Whatever you'll use it for, you want to be sure the moving parts lock down tightly, and that the bellows is light-tight. 8x10 is a popular format, and there is a lot of used equip. available at reasonable prices, and brand new stuff at exhorbitant prices. Good luck, and have fun shopping! If I can help with specific questions, don't hesitate to contact me.

Jay

Keith Tapscott.

Re: 810

Jay DeFehr wrote:Hi Keith.

Which camera would suit you best depends on what you want to do with it. If you'll be shooting a lot of architectural stuff, you'll want good WA/short- FL performance, bag bellows, etc., and full, preferrably geared movements front and rear. If you'll be doing mostly portraiture, you'll want lots of bellows draw, a large lensboard, and might be willing to sacrifice some movements, and tolerate some weight for rigidity at full extension. For landscape work, something in between the two extremes. Whatever you'll use it for, you want to be sure the moving parts lock down tightly, and that the bellows is light-tight. 8x10 is a popular format, and there is a lot of used equip. available at reasonable prices, and brand new stuff at exhorbitant prices. Good luck, and have fun shopping! If I can help with specific questions, don't hesitate to contact me.

Jay
Hello Jay,
I was thinking of more in the way of portraiture and studio type subjects. This would be for fun rather than for regular use. I have a 35mm outfit and a Mamiya RZ67 Pro II, the Mamiya is my favourite for studio portraiture of which I have 110mm and 180mm lenses.
I don`t want to pay too much, so I will be looking at buying second-hand for both the camera and lens(es). Perhaps I could use my Paterson Orbital for film processing, although this would mean one sheet at a time and then make contact prints. I also have an old MPP 4x5 camera which is nice for landscapes.
Cheers. 8)

Keith Tapscott.

Perhaps a 5x7 would be a more practical format with 35 square inches of film image compared to 20 square inches on 4x5, 80 square inches of film image is highly desirable though.

Jay DeFehr

Post by Jay DeFehr »

Hi Keith.

For studio portraiture you can use a studio camera, which don't usually bring big money on ebay, or elsewhere, because they're not very practical for field, or even location work, and professional studios are usually more interested in making money than in making big negatives. I think every portrait studio should have a big studio view camera on a studio stand. Your orbital processor should work just fine, provided you use a suitable developer, that isn't terribly sensitive to aerial oxidation, or continuous agitation. If you want to shoot 5x7, you might still consider an 8x10 camera, but you could get away with a field camera and reduction back, because you won't need as much bellows draw for 5x7. I have a Deardorff 8x10, and use reducing backs in 3x4, 4x5, and 5x7, which makes for a very flexible kit. You might also consider an old Burke and James Orbit Monorail camera, they've got plenty of bellows draw, and sell cheap because they're mostly obsolete for studio use, and too heavy/bulky for the field, much like the studio cameras, but far more compact and convenient. If you don't have a big tripod, leave room in your budget for one, and for film holders, but most importantly for the best lens you can afford. Get a long (14" or +), fast (f4-ish) lens of any manufacture and you'll probably get good portraits from it. Since you're in a studio, a shutter isn't an absolute necessity, but a Studio shutter, or even a Packard would be more convenient than a barrel lens. I'll keep my eyes open for candidate eqip. and forward them your way. Good luck.

Jay

Keith Tapscott.

Mr Cad has a Deardorf 8x10 camera for sale for £799. A bit beyond my budget. The `Dorf is too dear. :D

www.mrcad.co.uk

2Ldude

8x10

Post by 2Ldude »

I have the Cambo Legend 8x10 that has every movement that you can think of. Dont know if you have already purchased one but take a look at the Large Format Photography Forum. I would consider sending oversea's at this point.

Michael Taylor

Keith Tapscott.

Re: 8x10

2Ldude wrote:I have the Cambo Legend 8x10 that has every movement that you can think of. Dont know if you have already purchased one but take a look at the Large Format Photography Forum. I would consider sending oversea's at this point.

Michael Taylor
I haven`t bought yet and still considering if it`s worth while.
Cheers.