777 Panthermic developer

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

georgesh

777 Panthermic developer

Post by georgesh »

Hi all,
I've heard about this developer ( Frugal Photographer, for example...)
What do you think about it? Is it possible to try it with Ilford FP4, or Foma 100? What fifferences with D 76?
Thanks.
Best regards from France
Georges h

Ornello

Re: 777 Panthermic developer

Post by Ornello »

georgesh wrote:Hi all,
I've heard about this developer ( Frugal Photographer, for example...)
What do you think about it? Is it possible to try it with Ilford FP4, or Foma 100? What fifferences with D 76?
Thanks.
Best regards from France
Georges h
This has been around for ages, unless the formula has changed. I would not bother with it.

Jay DeFehr

Post by Jay DeFehr »

Hi Georges,

777 is similar in formulation to Edwal 12, Edwal 20, Germain's and other ultrafine grain developers. This class of developer relies on the properties of p-phenylenediamine in combination with secondary agents like glycin, metol, or catechol, or some combination of the above, and is used in large tanks with replenishment. As the developer "seasons" in the tank by the accumulation of developer products, there is a loss of film speed and a decrease in grain until the solution stabilizes. The stabilized developer can last a very long time with constant use, but will destabilize with disuse. Even with a steady supply of film and replenisher solution, a process control system is critical to consistent results, making these developers impractical for most low-volume home darkrooms.

These developers produce much finer grain than typical fine grain developers like Microdol-X, or Perceptol, with similar sharpness, and excellent gradation. I formulated my own developer of this class, and while it produces excellent results, I find it impractical in my low-volume darkroom, and generally obsolete considering the fine grain qualities of modern emulsions and the loss of film speed and sharpness. For example, TMY developed in stabilized Halcyon (my formula) produces film speed of about EI 250, with virtually no grain in a 10X enlargement. Fuji Acros 100 exposed at EI 200 and developed in GSD-10, a one-shot glycin developer, results in similar grain and gradation, but much greater apparent sharpness, without all the hassle associated with maintaining a large tank replenished system. Here's a link to my GSD-10 blog:

http://gsd-10.blogspot.com/

Good luck, and have fun!

Jay

Jim Appleyard

Post by Jim Appleyard »

Yes, 777 has been around for years, but it is not a waste of time to use it. Photographers for decades have used it to get great results. It's a developer like any other developer and takes a bit of time and effort to nail down your EI's and times.

georgesh

Post by georgesh »

Thanks for your advices. georges h.