out of date arista.edu 50

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

pirateoversixty

out of date arista.edu 50

Post by pirateoversixty »

I noticed on freestyle's web site that they are closing out bulk rolls of arista.edu 50 speed film for 11 bucks and some change. i am going to assume that this is left over ilford pan f+, as it is out of date. before i order though, i would like to know what developer would be best to control the contrast in this film, or would it take a different processing technique. i usually agitate 10" at the minute. i saw a couple developers listed in an old PF catalogue that were described as low contrast. the holy hot rod is not an option, as i have never had good results from it. maybe some tips on exposure technique and processing will help me make up my mind re ordereing a couple hundred feet.
JIM

Lowell Huff

Developer for Arista edu Film

Post by Lowell Huff »

Freestyle recommends ARISTA PREMIUM FILM DEVELOPER, ARISTA ODORLESS STOP BATH and ARISTA ODORLESS FIXER to process their films.

Jim Appleyard

Post by Jim Appleyard »

Well, the holy hot rod works fine for me. I use 1+75 for 15 min at an EI of 32; great negs.

I've also had good luck with D-76, 1+3. I think that was 15 min as well.

pirateoversixty

I am sure that rodinal is a satisfactory developer, as there seems to be an infinite number of people who have had great success with it. Unfortunatelly, iI am not in that number. So, I would rather limit my selection to that available through PF. I am thinking a compensating developer such as Diafine, though it is a speed-booster, or a technidol=type formulal, though ti may be too much.
Thanks for the suggestions so far, they are adefinite help.
Jim

twellendorf

out of date arista pro 50

Post by twellendorf »

I really like this film. It is Pan F like you thought. I usually use DK-50 diluted 1:3 for 8 to 10 min. or 1:1 for 4.5 to 5.5. I also use Beutler for 8 to 10 min. The DK-50 really gives a crisp look to the prints. The Beutler works great for high-contrast scenes, but it can mud-up if the scene is flat.

pirateoversixty

O.K.
Still undecided about what kind of developer to use with this film. Was looking at Barry Thornton's site. He has an interesting technique of using 2/3 time of normal developer and the balance with a combo of sodium metaborate in water for the balance of the normal time. Has anyone tried this, or is it just another esoteric formula? Again, this will be with Pan F 35mm. Thoughts, please.
]Jim

twellendorf

Pan-F+ Development

Post by twellendorf »

I have used the split developer process you have described. It works great if you need to extend the development of the shadow areas without totally blocking up the highlights. This film has a really good latitude and responds well to normal development. If I need to control contrast I usually use the Delagi 8 formula which works really well.

Here is the address of a shot I took last fall and developed in DK-50 1:3 for 9 minutes. The shadow detail in the grass blades under the leaves is quite acute.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7144584%40N03/478247600/