sodium carbonate

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

pirateoversixty

Buetler formula et al

Post by pirateoversixty »

Yep. Still here. Thanks for the reply. I do remember seeing this in Sussman's. An interesting book. I guess that and the other formulae is what got me interested in trying to mix by own. The Beutler formula has worked quite well for me. Divided D-23 not so well.
Jim

bowzart

Re: Buetler formula et al

Post by bowzart »

pirateoversixty wrote:Yep. Still here. Thanks for the reply. I do remember seeing this in Sussman's. An interesting book. I guess that and the other formulae is what got me interested in trying to mix by own. The Beutler formula has worked quite well for me. Divided D-23 not so well.
Jim
So, Jim, do you use Beutler's at 65°F or 68?

I really have a hard time understanding why anyone would divide D23 in the first place. It is so soft working, what would you gain? I suspect it would be pretty boring.

L.

pirateoversixty

divided d-23

Post by pirateoversixty »

I used it more this past winter, so the temp was probably closer to 65.

Our deceased friend Barry Thornton put it out as a possibility on his web site. I was hoping it would have more compensating action, but would also give a slight bump in film speed, ala diafine. To my eye it didn't. Oh well, I had the chemicals on hand, and you never know until you give it a try.
Jim

bowzart

Post by bowzart »

Hi Jim, and anyone else still attending this show,

I found my notes on the Beutler's experience.

I processed KB14 (the Adox original out of the freezer) exposed at 20 ISO and found that a time of 7 min at 65ºF produced wonderful negatives. If anything would be a definitive test, that is the one, since films of that type are really seriously affected by underexposure. Tri X, exposed at 250 ISO and developed for 14 minutes in Beutler's appears to be great; the compensation was distinctly visible to my eye. Of course, on cloudy days excluding the sky in the readings, you could cut the exposure by about a stop and develop maybe about 20% more. If you use the ZS, this would be taken into account by the metering discipline. I have not done full +&- tests, but probably will since I am getting interested again in this kind of thing.

My own thoughts about speed are that if that is the issue, I use developers that give it to me or a faster film. I choose developers for the quality of the images I can achieve.

Since we've been using this developer mostly with my wife's zone plate imagery using Δ3200 Ilford, which poses vastly different issues, that has been my main recent experience with it. Otherwise, though, I think it is a really fine developer, having had the opportunity to print my friend Don Normark's negatives (he's used it exclusively since 1949) and he based his long and distinguished career on it (http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/chavezravine/). I know what it can do from that experience printing his editorial images, and my own experience bears it out.

The mix used was 1:1:10. The temp was @65ºF. If you think it might benefit you in your own research, I would happily forward my notes to you. I would certainly appreciate hearing of anything you discover.