Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

RJ-

Paterson FX39 times for Fuji Acros

Post by RJ- »

Looking at the MDC base times for Fuji Acros given to date:

Film Developer Dilution ASA/ISO Temp
Acros FX-39 1+9 200 20C

I'm wondering whether this submitted data requires clarification. Fuji Acros has an exposure index of 80 and nominal exposure index of 100, and although there can a minor degree of speed gain with the high definition Paterson FX39 developer, I wonder how useful the current data is, if it gives no indication of whether a standard negative of a gamma range of 0.55-0.65 can be produced for conventional silver gelatin printing (or put in clearer terms, what use the negative would be if it was high contrast with no shadow detail and blocked highlights).

Paterson adhere to their view that FX39 does indeed enhance E.I. however perhaps not of the order of 2 1/2 x the E.I. of the original Fuji Acros ;)
The current data on Fuji Acros development with FX39 might need some more refinement.

Re-trialing the recently re-introduced Paterson FX-39, I'm finding the following times using deep tank processing for sheet film (5x4"). Please note that there is no expiry date given on the re-introduced Paterson FX-39 on either the bottle nor the packaging, however the batch number from the bottle corresponds within the first re-release of the Paterson chemicals at the end of 2007. There may be a trace residue of white crystal precipitate from the 1 litre bottle: this may require filtration for removal.

Film Developer Dilution ASA/ISO Temp Time

Fuji Acros FX39 1:14 100 20.5C 8.15 minutes

As with deep tank processing, pre-soaking has been omitted. The FX39 1:14 stock remains stable over 24 hours at least when stored in a deep tank and can be used consecutively (+10% of original development time) with a corresponding diminution of contrast.

Hope these notes help any user of this beautiful high definition developer now that this developer is back on the market.

Kind regards,

RJ

RJ-

Re: Paterson FX39 times for Fuji Acros

Post by RJ- »

Thank you Ornello.

I think you've missed the point. If the Digital Truth table is to be useful, then the data given for Fuji Acros & FX39 at ISO 200 (not ISO 100) needs to be clarified. These times/ratings are very different from what both the link given above, and the times I've reported on.

You might not have read the detail in the link you have supplied: the times for sheet film development are extrapolated theoretically, and not achieved empirically.

Kind regards,

RJ

Ornello

Re: Paterson FX39 times for Fuji Acros

Post by Ornello »

RJ- wrote:
Thank you Ornello.

I think you've missed the point. If the Digital Truth table is to be useful, then the data given for Fuji Acros & FX39 at ISO 200 (not ISO 100) needs to be clarified. These times/ratings are very different from what both the link given above, and the times I've reported on.

You might not have read the detail in the link you have supplied: the times for sheet film development are extrapolated theoretically, and not achieved empirically.

Kind regards,

RJ
I worked out those times, OK? They're accurate!