coating a silver print

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

jroy

coating a silver print

Post by jroy »

I'm thinking about varnishing a silver print. Any advice? Will the same varnish that works for acrylic/oil painting work? Is there a home recipe? Not much info on the net.

Thanks.

pirateoversixty

Post by pirateoversixty »

Have been curious about this myself. Some time ago, when I was in the family portrait business, I would spray my color stuff with McDonald Pro-tecta-cote product, some gloss, some semi matte. Have never used a varnish though.
Jim

bowzart

Re: coating a silver print

Post by bowzart »

jroy wrote:I'm thinking about varnishing a silver print. Any advice? Will the same varnish that works for acrylic/oil painting work? Is there a home recipe? Not much info on the net.

Thanks.
I wax mine using a carnauba floor wax. The one I use is Trewax.

Clarence John Laughlin flowed floor lacquer on his prints. They seemed a lot like place mats. He'd pass them around and people would look at them bare handed.

ashle123

Post by ashle123 »

Hi folks, I'm looking for a site, or shops maybe in Australia. I really need them because I'm starting a art soon and on the induction day was given a homework to do a portrait of myself, and I want to use acrylic paints because I'm only good with using them. Does anyone know where I can buy an acrylic paint set for art a level for cheap in the Australia? Thank you.