A question regarding Rodinal

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

pirateoversixty

A question regarding Rodinal

Post by pirateoversixty »

A seller on e-bay is selling rodinal, saying that A&O has sold their interest or whatever in producing Agfa chemicals, and that supplies are limited. I browsed the internet and could not find any news about this.

Mr Vonk: set the record straight please.
Jim

Keith Tapscott.

Re: A question regarding Rodinal

Post by Keith Tapscott. »

pirateoversixty wrote:A seller on e-bay is selling rodinal, saying that A&O has sold their interest or whatever in producing Agfa chemicals, and that supplies are limited. I browsed the internet and could not find any news about this.

Jim
There is no news on the a&o website about discontinuing Agfa Photo-Chemicals, regard the ebay sellers comments as B.S.

Fotohuis

Post by Fotohuis »

Correct, A&O sold the chemical plant in Vaihingen, Germany.

But there is a new owner and the production is going on.
See also *news* on our website:

http://www.FotohuisRoVo.nl
"De enige beperking in je fotografie ben je zelf"

http://gallery.fotohuisrovo.nl/

Fotohuis

Post by Fotohuis »

Here a local article from the German newspaper:

http://www.vkz.de/de/heute/redaktion/ar ... -verkauft/

CMS seems to be the new owner of this former Agfa chemical plant.

pirateoversixty

Thanx.

Figured this was a ploy of some sort. If it were true, red flags would have shot up all over the internet forums, especially photo.net and apug. Some-body trying to start a panic rush, I suppose.
Jim

Ornello

Post by Ornello »

pirateoversixty wrote:A seller on e-bay is selling rodinal, saying that A&O has sold their interest or whatever in producing Agfa chemicals, and that supplies are limited. I browsed the internet and could not find any news about this.

Jim
Who cares? Rodinal is the most over-rated, crappy developer of them all.

Jim Appleyard

Post by Jim Appleyard »

[quote="Ornello"][quote="pirateoversixty"]A seller on e-bay is selling rodinal, saying that A&O has sold their interest or whatever in producing Agfa chemicals, and that supplies are limited. I browsed the internet and could not find any news about this.

Jim[/quote]

Who cares? Rodinal is the most over-rated, crappy developer of them all.[/quote]

It's just this kind of over-rated, crappy attitude from a "know-it-all" that has made this the least used and least respected forum on the internet.

Ornello

Post by Ornello »

Jim Appleyard wrote:
Ornello wrote:

Jim
It's just this kind of over-rated, crappy attitude from a "know-it-all" that has made this the least used and least respected forum on the internet.
Rodinal provides the lowest speed, poorest sharpness, and worst grain. This is objective fact, inconvenient to the hordes of Rodinal worshipers.

pirateoversixty

rodinal question

An inconvenient truth is that if rodinal were so poor a performer, it would have not survived lo these many years. Are you implying that thousands of users over the years would accept substandard (by your criteria) negs continuously?
Personally, I don't use the product. Other formulae have filled the bill for me, some better than others. But, I certainly won't diss the opinion of others who have successfuly used it, and have the prints to prove that it does work. Are you saying that any and/or all negs are inferior to, for example, your wunderkind FX whatever? That it is due to superhuman efforts that a decent print can be produced from a film processed in rodinal?
Time to come down from my soap-box. Need that fourth cup of coffee.
Jim

Fotohuis

Post by Fotohuis »

Yes a cup of coffee.

Rodinal, patentet in 1891 and the last chemical change in this recepture was made in 1992.

Yes, with most films you have a slower effective film speed. But high sharpness, acutance (with classical cubical films) but some pronounced grain.

Very suitable for slow and medium speed films. Dilution from 1+10 (as paper developer), 1+25 to 1+100 for B&W film development.
Based on para-amino phenol.
Very long lifetime of the concentrate in the H.D. plastic (Silar (TM) ) bottle. 125ml and 500ml packing.

Ornello

Re: rodinal question

Post by Ornello »

pirateoversixty wrote:An inconvenient truth is that if rodinal were so poor a performer, it would have not survived lo these many years. Are you implying that thousands of users over the years would accept substandard (by your criteria) negs continuously?
Personally, I don't use the product. Other formulae have filled the bill for me, some better than others. But, I certainly won't diss the opinion of others who have successfuly used it, and have the prints to prove that it does work. Are you saying that any and/or all negs are inferior to, for example, your wunderkind FX whatever? That it is due to superhuman efforts that a decent print can be produced from a film processed in rodinal?
Time to come down from my soap-box. Need that fourth cup of coffee.
Jim
Yes, indeed. Rodinal is worse than many other developers, in fact worse than most. Paterson FX-39 is probably the best. Rodinal has survived because of its cult following and keeping properties. When measured objectively (as Leica Fotografie did back in the late 1960s) its shortcomings become plainly apparent. The one redeeming virtue Rodinal has is its keeping quality. It is very stable. But on any objective basis, Rodinal is among the very worst developers. D-76 1:1 is far better on most films. Contrary to popular belief, Rodinal does not provide high sharpness. The exaggerated grain provides an illusion of sharpness.

nielsf5

Post by nielsf5 »

Well said! To be honest, the internet has given a voice to all sorts of bigots and social inadequates such as 'Ornello'. I doubt very much that he would be as abrupt and downright insulting were he face to face with any of the posters on this forum. He certainly wouldn't be so with me as a punch in the nuts often offends. I have to admit that sometimes, just sometimes, when I'm needing a laugh, I'll pop onto the digital truth forum to marvel at 'Ornello's' pearls of wisdom, but I'm amazed how much you lads and lasses tolerate his presence. Maybe it's pity, like you would pity a village idiot; humouring his ranting and raving. My humble opinion is that he does great damage to an otherwise excellent forum. And now, I reckon I'm persona non grata around here; cheerio!

Ornello

Post by Ornello »

nielsf5 wrote:
Well said! To be honest, the internet has given a voice to all sorts of bigots and social inadequates such as 'Ornello'. I doubt very much that he would be as abrupt and downright insulting were he face to face with any of the posters on this forum. He certainly wouldn't be so with me as a punch in the nuts often offends. I have to admit that sometimes, just sometimes, when I'm needing a laugh, I'll pop onto the digital truth forum to marvel at 'Ornello's' pearls of wisdom, but I'm amazed how much you lads and lasses tolerate his presence. Maybe it's pity, like you would pity a village idiot; humouring his ranting and raving. My humble opinion is that he does great damage to an otherwise excellent forum. And now, I reckon I'm persona non grata around here; cheerio!
Well, sir, the facts of the matter are simple enough to establish. Rodinal is just about the worst developer out there. I will be glad to send you copies of the Leica Fotografie tests. Almost everything you hear about film and developers is third-hand nonsense. I have done extensive research to establish a solid foundation of my advice and knowledge, and have written part of a book on film & exposure technique. Have you? I didn't think so...

Why is it that hard scientific analyses are so widely frowned up among photographers?
Last edited by Ornello on Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Appleyard

Post by Jim Appleyard »

Anybody can talk & write. Where can we view this piece of unbiased, technically correct, piece of literary art?

Ornello

Post by Ornello »

Jim Appleyard wrote:Anybody can talk & write. Where can we view this piece of unbiased, technically correct, piece of literary art?
If you want it, send me an e-mail at:

petraioprime@yahoo.com

I will make a pdf file for you