Sheet film processing: Can D-76 1:1 be reused?

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

kcf

Sheet film processing: Can D-76 1:1 be reused?

Post by kcf »

1) What is the amount of D-76 1:1 required for processing one sheet of 4X5 film? Or, how many sheets can be processed in, say, one litre of 1:1. I am not finding this answer easily on Kodak's pro web site.

2) I believe you can process more than 12 sheets in the amount of D-76 1:1 it takes to fill a 12-sheet tank. If that is the case, can the same batch of D-76 1:1 working solution be used to process more than one batch of film? In other words, if I make enough D-76 1:1 to process 32 sheets of film, can I process that film in 3 batches of twelve sheets per batch, immersing each subsequent batch after the first into the same solution?

3) Is D-76 1:1 a good way to go when processing sheet film?

Ornello

Re: Sheet film processing: Can D-76 1:1 be reused?

Post by Ornello »

kcf wrote:1) What is the amount of D-76 1:1 required for processing one sheet of 4X5 film? Or, how many sheets can be processed in, say, one litre of 1:1. I am not finding this answer easily on Kodak's pro web site.

2) I believe you can process more than 12 sheets in the amount of D-76 1:1 it takes to fill a 12-sheet tank. If that is the case, can the same batch of D-76 1:1 working solution be used to process more than one batch of film? In other words, if I make enough D-76 1:1 to process 32 sheets of film, can I process that film in 3 batches of twelve sheets per batch, immersing each subsequent batch after the first into the same solution?

3) Is D-76 1:1 a good way to go when processing sheet film?
Kodak does not recommend re-using D76 1:1. I concur. You can write to Kodak for the answers to your other questions.

Keith Tapscott.

Post by Keith Tapscott. »

You can download a PDF document for D76 here with the technical data that you require.

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professi ... 4.14&lc=en

kcf

Post by kcf »

Thank you both.

I noticed Kodak said not to re-use developer, Ornello, but I had noticed long ago that you could process something like 32 sheets of 4x5 in the amount of developer it takes to fill a 12-sheet tank.

Using a hanger tank would seem to be an expensive way to process sheet film compared to tray development, if you need to dump a whole hanger tank every time you develop twelve sheets. You'd be able to use a more appropriate amount of developer to the number of sheets you're developing if you use a tray, since a tank has to be filled to be used.

kcf

Post by kcf »

OK, figured it out. Disregard last post. Lost in space last night when I read the Kodak page.

Just for the record, you need 2 liters to fill a twelve sheet tank. Kodak's numbers indicate you can do two 8x10's per liter of 1:1. That's eight 4x5's per liter of 1:1 since four 4x5's equals an 8x10.

So you're having to make an extra half liter of 1:1 to use a tank, since you need only a liter and a half to process the twelve sheets the tank will hold.

Keith Tapscott.

Post by Keith Tapscott. »

kcf wrote:OK, figured it out. Disregard last post. Lost in space last night when I read the Kodak page.

Just for the record, you need 2 liters to fill a twelve sheet tank. Kodak's numbers indicate you can do two 8x10's per liter of 1:1. That's eight 4x5's per liter of 1:1 since four 4x5's equals an 8x10.

So you're having to make an extra half liter of 1:1 to use a tank, since you need only a liter and a half to process the twelve sheets the tank will hold.
The 1:1 dilution should be discarded after one use only. Also, only dilute from the stock solution just before use, as it only has a recommended keeping time of 24 hours when diluted.
The stock solution can be reused, but works best when the dedicated D-76R replenisher is added. When replenished, D-76 has a very long life provided that it is used regularly and again, all that you need to know about replenishment is in the technical data publication.

kcf

Post by kcf »

Thank you, Keith.

By my reckoning D-76 with replenisher will be considerably less expensive than 1:1 dilution.