Copyproof machine developer

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

foolscape

Copyproof machine developer

Post by foolscape »

Does anyone know a formula for the developer for a copyproof (or Diffusion Transfer) machine? I bought one off of eBay, and I want to see if I can mix the developer myself.

Thanks
--Gary

Lowell Huff

Post by Lowell Huff »

Diffusion Transfer is no longer a vialbe system. There is no paper or film available for years, any inventory that you may have is so far out of date as to be unusable. While i can make the chemical i don't think you want to meet the minimum order i would require to make it.
You can call me if you want to discuss it. 800 231-8872

foolscape

Post by foolscape »

They have the developer at Freestyle, so I thought that the materials may be available as well. I've been looking for a replacement for Polariod film. I found a Copyproof machine on eBay, and having never even heard of them before, and going by the process described by the seller, I thought I could actually use it. Luckily, I only paid $25.00. for it. Unfortunately, shipping was also $25.00. So, I'm thinking about just buying some Efke positive paper. I need some way of getting a quick view of how my strobes are illuminating my subject.

--Gary[/i]

Lowell Huff

Post by Lowell Huff »

I think you are confused about DTR (Copy Proof). It is no longer available, not at Freestyle or anywhere in a usable format. Any supply of that film or paper are so far out of date to be fogged beyond any use. There were a variety of ACTIVATORS (negative) and DEVELOPERS (postitive) that used to be available for DTR. They are not the same as ACTIVATOR and STABILILIZER for developer encorporated papers and films. For that matter, there maybe only one developer encorporated paper remaining in the market.

foolscape

Post by foolscape »

I'm even more confused now. I looked online for papers to use with the Copyproof machine, and found a few from the early 1990s mage by Agfa, and, I agree, these would be unusable. I looked for hours and I found that Kodak had made something for it, but it was not in the current catalog. This is what is for sale at Freestyle:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_prod.p ... =&pid=1227

If I understand what you are saying, this developer is for an entirely different process, even though both are called Diffusion Transfer processes? Or, was the person who sold me the machine wrong for calling it a Diffusion Transfer machine? I'm not at home, so I can't read the name on the machine, but I seem to remember that it was made by Agfa.

Either way, I had come to the conclusion that the machine was obsolete. I bought the Efke positive paper so that I could take a shot and nip away to the darkroom for a minute and develop it, and thereby getting a quick view of how strobes were illuminating the shot. I'm selling the strobes now, and buying a continuous lighting system, so I don't need either anymore.