"Clumpy" Dektol...

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

Bill Ballard

"Clumpy" Dektol...

Post by Bill Ballard »

Ok, its not really "clumpy" per se, but there's a ton of particulate that doesn't seem to want to dissolve.

The mix was made according to Kodak's directions - distilled water at 100 degrees F, stirred with a mixing paddle. Stirred of course, until dissolved - which is the part that hasn't happened.

I've been mixing chemistry for years and have experienced this from time to time with powders, but not to this degree. The solution is not quite opaque, but is "cloudy" with visible particulate that settles over time.

Nothing's been put through it yet; my plan is to strain the stock solution through a paper coffee filter before diluting and use.

Any idea what I may have done to cause this - or if there's anything else that could have caused the issue?

Thanks -

Keith Tapscott.

Post by Keith Tapscott. »

Is it an old package of Dektol, or did you buy it recently?

Bill Ballard

Post by Bill Ballard »

Both were purchased recently. However, that's no guarantee of age.

I've dug through my trash and looked at the empty packets. One had an expire date of 10/08; the other, 03/09. The mixes were from different batches as would be expected.

I will add that the powder was loose and free flowing when being mixed - no lumps or hard packs.

foolscape

Post by foolscape »

Pouring the powder into the water too fast can have this effect. But I suspect that's not an issue, since you've been at this for a while. Perhaps one batch of powder was not blended very well at the factory.

I have a super-secret fix for this eventuality. Don't laugh. It's an old blender with a glass pitcher. I haven't used it in a while, because I've gotten better at this sort of thing, but I used to pour in the mixture (reheating it if necessary), and set if on low for as long as it took to mix in the flotsam. There are two problems with this method, though. 1) It accelerates oxidation. 2) You hate to have to admit to it.

--Gary

Keith Tapscott.

For years, I used to use Ilford Bromophen which came in two-part powders to make 1 litre of stock solution. When it was reintroduced only in the 5 litre size after the "management buy out" a few years ago, I switched over to using Ilford Multigrade developer which is sold as a liquid concentrate and I haven`t looked back since. I have also used Dektol in powder form and to be honest, I don`t miss them at all. I know that shipping cost might be higher, but can you buy Dektol liquid or an alternative liquid concentrate? If so, it would be well worth considering for future paper developer purchases. Just a suggestion. :idea:

Bill Ballard

Post by Bill Ballard »

foolscape wrote:Pouring the powder into the water too fast can have this effect. But I suspect that's not an issue, since you've been at this for a while. Perhaps one batch of powder was not blended very well at the factory.

I have a super-secret fix for this eventuality. Don't laugh. It's an old blender with a glass pitcher. I haven't used it in a while, because I've gotten better at this sort of thing, but I used to pour in the mixture (reheating it if necessary), and set if on low for as long as it took to mix in the flotsam. There are two problems with this method, though. 1) It accelerates oxidation. 2) You hate to have to admit to it.

--Gary
No, I don't think it was poured too fast. I'm in the practice of mixing small amounts at a time, until the crystals are fully dissolved and the solution clear. It was during the last quarter or so of the packages that the lack of dissolution became an issue. Thanks for the blender tip!

Bill

Bill Ballard

Post by Bill Ballard »

Keith Tapscott. wrote:For years, I used to use Ilford Bromophen which came in two-part powders to make 1 litre of stock solution. When it was reintroduced only in the 5 litre size after the "management buy out" a few years ago, I switched over to using Ilford Multigrade developer which is sold as a liquid concentrate and I haven`t looked back since. I have also used Dektol in powder form and to be honest, I don`t miss them at all. I know that shipping cost might be higher, but can you buy Dektol liquid or an alternative liquid concentrate? If so, it would be well worth considering for future paper developer purchases. Just a suggestion. :idea:
Hmmm..I seem to remember a liquid Dektol concentrate from years ago. I'll have to research and see if it's still out there.

As far as Ilford developers go; I've tried some of them, though not the one you mentioned. Dektol has been a long and trusted friend.

Thanks!

EDIT: No liquid concentrate Dektol to be found -

Keith Tapscott.

Bill, I don`t know where you are geographically located, but it is available in the UK from Silverprint in London in 5 litre concentrated liquid size containers. Polymax-T is identical and available in smaller hobby-pack sizes and is renamed `Polymax-T` to coordinate the Kodak Product range.
Hopefully, it will be available some where near you or maybe you will have to order it.

http://www.silverprint.co.uk/chem2.html

Bill Ballard

Post by Bill Ballard »

Keith Tapscott. wrote:Bill, I don`t know where you are geographically located, but it is available in the UK from Silverprint in London in 5 litre concentrated liquid size containers. Polymax-T is identical and available in smaller hobby-pack sizes and is renamed `Polymax-T` to coordinate the Kodak Product range.
Hopefully, it will be available some where near you or maybe you will have to order it.

http://www.silverprint.co.uk/chem2.html
Keith -

Thank you for the reply - I'm in Savannah, GA, opposite side of the pond.

Best that I can tell, Dektol in liquid form isn't available in the US - and I don't know how problematic it would be to ship it here from the UK, not to mention the unfavorable (for me) currency exchange at present.

This "clumping" as I've called it isn't a catastrophe, or at least I don't feel that it is. I was just curious about what may have caused it. Besides, I've got quite a bit of powdered Dektol in inventory to get through.

I think the liquid concentrate would be nifty to have though -