Photos damaged in a flood. HELP!!

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

Beckognize

Photos damaged in a flood. HELP!!

Post by Beckognize »

My sister's apartment flooded.
Many of her honeymoon photo's were soaked in nasty sink back up water.
She didn't have time to go through everything carefully and her husband had thrown out all the negatives of the photos. Since many of the photo's dried together they are now stuck in a big block. Someone told her that she could try putting them in a stabilizer solution to see if it would make them come apart. I have no experience in color photography so i had no idea what that solution was or how to use it.

can anyone give me some information to give to her. She wants to know if it is something an amiture can do at home.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Ornello

Re: Photos damaged in a flood. HELP!!

Post by Ornello »

Beckognize wrote:My sister's apartment flooded.
Many of her honeymoon photo's were soaked in nasty sink back up water.
She didn't have time to go through everything carefully and her husband had thrown out all the negatives of the photos. Since many of the photo's dried together they are now stuck in a big block. Someone told her that she could try putting them in a stabilizer solution to see if it would make them come apart. I have no experience in color photography so i had no idea what that solution was or how to use it.

can anyone give me some information to give to her. She wants to know if it is something an amiture can do at home.

Any help would be very appreciated.
Try Kodak information line.

foolscape

Post by foolscape »

If no help has yet arived, you can try to soak them apart, perhaps in a mild photo-flo solution, and air dry them. If you have access to a Seal heat press, you can flatten them individually after they dry by placing a sheet of release paper, and then a sheet of mat board over them. The mat board should keep the paper from bubbling unless you leave the press closed too long.

--Gary