Infrared film

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

Keith Tapscott.

Re: Infrared film

Post by Keith Tapscott. »

Ornello wrote: The 720 filter is the lightest of the deep filters.
Looking through it at foliage, you can see some effect with the eye alone.
My question is what is the difference in response between the Rollei film and Ilford SFX, and will the SFX film record with this filter?

AFAIK the the Ilford film has extended red sensitivity up to 740nm while the Rollei film goes up to 820nm (I think).
This image on Flickr was taken on SFX with a 720 filter on the lens according to the author, but as you can see, it has a different look from Kodak HIE.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/remediatethis/4922740229/

foolscape

Post by foolscape »

Yes, the SFX will record with that filter. It's the same as the Hoya R72, which is actually the minimun needed to get SFX to behave like an infrared film. The Rollei IR 400 is as close as you are going to get to HIE these days, but it's not all that close. You can, however, get infrared effect with a R29 filter from it.

--Gary

Ornello

Post by Ornello »

foolscape wrote:Yes, the SFX will record with that filter. It's the same as the Hoya R72, which is actually the minimun needed to get SFX to behave like an infrared film. The Rollei IR 400 is as close as you are going to get to HIE these days, but it's not all that close. You can, however, get infrared effect with a R29 filter from it.

--Gary
OK, I'll start with SFX and the 720 filter and see how it goes....