Approaches to sheet film processing: a free inquiry

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

kcf

Approaches to sheet film processing: a free inquiry

Post by kcf »

I'm reading about people using diluted paper developer in trays, or Rodinal or Pyro developers to process sheet film. And I've read in these hallowed threads that it is with sheet film that the differences between the various developers really show themselves.

Anyone care to share their methods for developing sheet film and give a reason or two for employing these methods?

Keith Tapscott.

Re: Approaches to sheet film processing: a free enquiry

Post by Keith Tapscott. »

kcf wrote:I'm reading about people using diluted paper developer in trays, or Rodinal or Pyro developers to process sheet film. And I've read in these hallowed threads that it is with sheet film that the differences between the various developers really show themselves.
Anyone care to share their methods for developing sheet film and give a reason or two for employing these methods?
Why would the differences show more in sheet-films and not roll-films? I would say that the opposite is true and differences between developer types would show up more noticeably in the 35mm film format, particularly if using ISO 400 films.
What is it that you are trying to achieve? This is not meant to sound abrupt, but to try to see what your goals are.

Keith Tapscott.

Re: Approaches to sheet film processing: a free inquiry

kcf wrote:
You can find methods for processing sheet-films in the link below.
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/

kcf

Post by kcf »

Thank you for the link, Keith!

Not sure what I want to do, but I think the link is the kind of thing I'm looking for.

I'm curious about things I'm reading, such as why people process in paper developer. But I think the link may provide some clues.

Keith Tapscott.

kcf wrote:Thank you for the link, Keith!

Not sure what I want to do, but I think the link is the kind of thing I'm looking for.

I'm curious about things I'm reading, such as why people process in paper developer. But I think the link may provide some clues.
My guess is that the large-format photographers who develop their film sheets in paper developer, are using so called "ALTERNATIVE-PROCESSES" that require significantly higher than average contrast.
For enlarging or contact printing on normal B&W papers, just use regular B&W film developers and process normally.