Ilfosol 3

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

Ornello

Ilfosol 3

Post by Ornello »

Ilford's liquid developer Ilfosol 3...anyone here with experience using it? Seems to be similar to Paterson Acutol in intended application.

bsdunek

Re: Ilfosol 3

Post by bsdunek »

I have been using Ilfosol 3, and Ilfosol S before that, for about four years. I like the one-time use, and it seems to produce good grain. I find two things.
First, it seems to produce slightly low contrast and not develop full film speed. I tend to extend the recommended developing times by 15%-20% to compensate. I also tend to use #3 & #4 contrast filters for printing. This could just be my darkroom conditions, as I have not compared with anybody else. Maybe my thermometers read high, or my light meters are off, although everything seems to match pretty closely.
Second, life in the opened bottle can be short. It seems to oxidize pretty quickly. I now use glass marbles to take up the air space in the bottle, and get much longer life before it deteriorates. If it starts to turn brown, its bad.
I do intend to keep using it, as I can get what I want from it.
Mama, don't take my Kodachrome away
Bruce

Keith Tapscott.

Post by Keith Tapscott. »

I recently saw some photographs where the photographer used Tetenal Ultrafin Liquid to process her films and the sharpness and tone reproduction looks excellent. I reckon Ultrafin (not Ultrafin-Plus) is probably closer to Acutol than Ilfosol-3.
I fancy trying it myself.
http://www.tetenal.com/index_c.htm?AKT= ... 00010&L=UK

Ornello

Post by Ornello »

I tried Tetenal stuff back in the 70s, don't remember if that was it.