Old rolleiflex problem

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

clyde selsor

Old rolleiflex problem

Post by clyde selsor »

I have a Rolleiflex 3.5 TLR that is stuck at f-stop 22. The shutter speed is still adjustable. Although when I shoot landscapes I alway use f22 and a tripod, I would still like to have the camera function properly. Their are no longer any local service shops in my area so I was wondering if anyone would have any ideas? I am not a qualified serviceman, but I am kinda handy with a screwdiver! :wink:
Mamiya M645
Rolleiflex 3.5
Praktica 35mm manual SLR
Digital camera used as door-stop!

PeanutHorst

Post by PeanutHorst »

I'm no expert on the subject, but any repair of this kind would almost certainly involve disassembling the lense elements... it may be more trouble to repair the camera than to replace it in all honesty.

Assuming your camera is the round-knob-adjustment type, you could try brute-force, but i wouldn't advise it.

I too have a Roleliflex 3.5C and a Praktica MTL5B - both are beautiful cameras when functioning properly, I am sure you will agree!
My cameras:

Ricoh XR-1s, 55mm SMC Pentax lense
Asahi Pentax KX, Astron 28-70mm lense
Rolleiflex 3.5C
Zeiss Ikonta
Linhoff large-format camera

clyde selsor

Post by clyde selsor »

PeanutHorst,
Mine is the type that you set the exposure to a EV number by pulling the adjustment knob out. Once this is set then you move the lever to the f-stop that you want and it changes the shutter speed in kind. The problem is now that the shutter speed changes, but not the aperture. So brute force won't help. Yes I do agree with you, my German cameras seem to have the highest quality! My Mamiya 645 is pretty good too because it is an older model with older lenses. I feel that the optics were better on vintage cameras than on the newer ones.
Mamiya M645
Rolleiflex 3.5
Praktica 35mm manual SLR
Digital camera used as door-stop!

Lowell Huff

Post by Lowell Huff »

Contact Freestyle Photo Supply. They sell many large format cameras and probably know how to get them repaired.

PeanutHorst

Post by PeanutHorst »

an EV-based Rolleiflex? good grief... that must be one of the last models!

You have to be careful with those babies... they have very delicate mechanisms. I reckon you should follow Lowell's idea... see where it gets you, although I would happily argue that the Rollei and Mamiya are not large-foramt, but mediumm-format cameras ;)
My cameras:

Rolleiflex 3.5C
Zeiss Ikonta
Linhoff large-format camera

Phorst

The real Horst

Post by Phorst »

I have edited this post to remove your offensive remarks. Jon Mided has been notified of your post, now cut it out. :x

Anyway, My opinion on the matter is: an EV-based Rolleiflex? good grief... that must be one of the last models!

You have to be careful with those babies... they have very delicate mechanisms. I reckon you should follow Lowell's idea... see where it gets you, although I would happily argue that the Rollei and Mamiya are not large-foramt, but mediumm-format cameras

Rolleiflex 3.5C
Zeiss Ikonta
Linhoff large-format camera.