For Folder Fans

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

pirateoversixty

For Folder Fans

Post by pirateoversixty »

Recently purchased another folder (when will I learn). This time, a Kodak Monitor 620 w/ a Kodak Anastigmet Special lens in a Supermatic shutter. Naturally, the bellows was severly pinholded, but I think I have repaired that. Next problem, front lens element seems to be a bit cloudy on the back-side. This is a 1942 lens, uncoated. Later lenses were supposedlymade with screw-in lens stops (posts). This, being an earlier lens, seems to have a pressed-in post, both on the shutter face plate and front lens element. Need some guidance on how to get one post or the other out so that I can remove front element to clean the back side, the idea being to do as little damage as possible to either one. Hope somebody out there has some experience with this.
TIA
Jim

pirateoversixty

gotter done.

pirateoversixty

OK, for reasons I really don't care to get in to, the Monitor has been relegated t the scrap heap. But, it appears to be a well-made piece, with sturdy struts, nice finish, etc. Linkage appears to be a bit shaky, but that appears to be the only weak link. I plan to get another one....

Does anybody have any experience with one of these? My only other experience with 6 x 9 has been with a couple of Franka Rolfix's with 3 element lenses. Would think a 4-element would give better performance at same apertures.
Jim

foolscape

Post by foolscape »

pirateoversixty

For Folder Fans

just a little follow up. mounted the kodak lens on a franka rolfix. first roll indicated that it would not focus correctly @ infinity. removed the stop post and cranked the lens in to a snug fit. shot a roll of fuji slide, and all but one seemed to be in sharp focus at infinity. did not try any at lens set for less that infinity, and tried to keep aperture in fll to f16 range. have been playing around trying to make a chart for closer focusing ranges.
as far as picture quality, kodak lens may be a bit crisper than frankar 3 element, but can't base it on only one roll of film. will try some hp5+ and make some enlargements.
jim