Hand coloring

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

mwaskin

Hand coloring

Post by mwaskin »

I no longer do darkroom work but would like to continue hand coloring my images. I would like to print my images that are stored on my computer, but have not found a paper that will accept Marshall oils, etc. Are there any papers made to produce digital images that can be colored the old fashioned way.

foolscape

Post by foolscape »

Any matte paper should work just fine. I've used Epson HW Matte on occasion.

--Gary

rjdibert

Tinting on non fibre paper

Post by rjdibert »

As someone who has been tinting for about 35 years I would suggest you get some semi-matte paper from Freestyle and go back to working on silver base wet media fibre base paper. What happens with tinting with oils, like Marshall's is that the oils themselves are seated in the gelatin base of the paper and that they basically bond with that layer. When you use oil based paints on a paper that does on have a seled surface , such as a digital paper, whether cotton or other, despite it's matte surface, the oils will both streak, making the buffing so important impossible to do with any subtlety and most likely with the oil staining thru the paper back. You could also easily abraide the delicate surface of the digital paper. Of course if you are doing an art approach that may be what you intend. Best of luck, Rita
www.ritadibert.com