neopan 1600 @ 3200 dev time

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

mr chop

neopan 1600 @ 3200 dev time

Post by mr chop »

hello
first of all Im amazed with the site!

Ive got a load of films Im going to be deving and one of them is a fuji neopan 1600 its been shot at 3200 and Im going to be using rodinal

Ive checked out the massive dev chhart but it only gives times for the film at 1600. Im going to be using a 1/25 solution at 20c

should I just double the dev time?

thnaks for any help
www.photofinale.co..uk

Digitaltruth
Site Admin

Post by Digitaltruth »

You should not double the time as this will result in overdevelopment. Please select "Push Processing" from the text menu on the left column of the Massive Dev Chart to determine the best time. In general, you should add anything from zero to 50% more time depending on the exact exposure conditions. The push processing conversion times indicated should be the maximum required in any situation.
Digitaltruth Photo
https://www.digitaltruth.com

mr chop

Post by mr chop »

the dev is rodinal at 1/25 so is this a standard solution?
if so then the dev time should be about 7.5mins?

Im not sure about the standard solution bit?

thanks for the advice and help
www.photofinale.co..uk

Digitaltruth
Site Admin

Post by Digitaltruth »

Rodinal has a compensating effect. At this dilution it is very contrasty and grainy, so I would recommend about 9-10 minutes.
Digitaltruth Photo
https://www.digitaltruth.com

Ornello

Re: neopan 1600 @ 3200 dev time

Post by Ornello »

mr chop wrote:hello

Ive got a load of films Im going to be deving and one of them is a fuji neopan 1600 its been shot at 3200 and Im going to be using rodinal

Ive checked out the massive dev chhart but it only gives times for the film at 1600. Im going to be using a 1/25 solution at 20c

thnaks for any help
Why use Rodinal with that film? It's the worst possible choice!

pirateoversixty

Post by pirateoversixty »

Neopan 1600 @ box speed is quite grainey. At 3200 it could be disastrous, unless you are after that look. Otherwise, forget the Rod.
There is more suitable stuff out there, probably even D-76 (1:3). I have used Acufine which I think would give better results, even though it is a speed enhancing developer, at 650 ei or so.
Jim

Ornello

Re: neopan 1600 @ 3200 dev time

Post by Ornello »

mr chop wrote:hello

thnaks for any help
1) The speed of this film is about 650-800, probably best speed would be in Acufine or Microphen.

2) Rodinal is not capable of attaining full speed of this film, probably about EI400 max.

mr chop

Post by mr chop »

well thanks for the replies.
I like grain and the only dev Ive got at the moment is rodinal so rodinal it will be.

why is every one so anti grain?
www.photofinale.co..uk

Ornello

Post by Ornello »

mr chop wrote:well thanks for the replies.
I like grain and the only dev Ive got at the moment is rodinal so rodinal it will be.

why is every one so anti grain?
No need to make the grain any worse than it has to be....

35mm B&W photographs can be stunning, with beautiful tonality, when films are handled properly.

When this film is given adequate exposure and developed in a suitable developer, it can give superb quality, very similar to Tri-x with about 1/2-2/3 stop more speed than that film.

If people would be more conservative with film ratings and development, they would see how good 35mm can be!

This film is nowhere near 1600 ISO, it's closer to 650 at best. Exposing it at 3200 is hopeless....

I'm sure if a film were made in the range of 10,000 ISO, someone would ask "Can I push it?". LOL

mr chop

Post by mr chop »

Im sure your right, but you seem to be missing the point.

at the moment rodianl is the only dev Ive got, I like grain, I like big dirty grain. I dont want to produce images that have huge tonal ranges, I want grain and hi contrast

Im sure your right about the film speeds but Ive used neopen 1600 pushed to 3200 in the past and used tmax and had results that I liked.

I assumed there are other people out there that like the type of images I do?
www.photofinale.co..uk

Ornello

Post by Ornello »

mr chop wrote:Im sure your right, but you seem to be missing the point.

at the moment rodianl is the only dev Ive got, I like grain, I like big dirty grain. I dont want to produce images that have huge tonal ranges, I want grain and hi contrast

Im sure your right about the film speeds but Ive used neopen 1600 pushed to 3200 in the past and used tmax and had results that I liked.

I assumed there are other people out there that like the type of images I do?
Neopan 1600 is a 400-speed film with fast-developing characteristics. It is a fine-grain film. If you want big grain, try Ilford Delta 3200. You're barking up the wrong tree with the Fuji product. It won't get grainy on you....just way too contrasty. Why not learn how to get the best quality out of products instead of abusing them?

mr chop

Post by mr chop »

I thought traditional photography was about trying things out and experimenting. That’s the fun and beauty of it. I thought photography was about expressionism and capturing images that you want to shoot

When this is the response that people get when deviating from the “you have to represent all tonality answer” I can see why so many people are using digital.

I’ve used delta 3200 there’s not enough contrast. I’ve also had the most contrast grainy images form neopan 1600 and tmax dev at 3200. But according you this isn’t the case? I must have been using fake film and bogus dev!....
www.photofinale.co..uk

Ornello

Post by Ornello »

mr chop wrote:I thought traditional photography was about trying things out and experimenting. That’s the fun and beauty of it. I thought photography was about expressionism and capturing images that you want to shoot

When this is the response that people get when deviating from the “you have to represent all tonality answer” I can see why so many people are using digital.

I’ve used delta 3200 there’s not enough contrast. I’ve also had the most contrast grainy images form neopan 1600 and tmax dev at 3200. But according you this isn’t the case? I must have been using fake film and bogus dev!....
What's wrong with trying to get the best quality images you can from the materials, using them properly? Experiment, yes, trying to get the very best we can from those materials.

You asked about grainy film, and Delta 3200 is grainy. I don't know what you mean about "not enough contrast". Perhaps you don't know exactly what a good print looks like.

mr chop

Post by mr chop »

You must be right.
www.photofinale.co..uk

pirateoversixty

neopan 1600-true speed

Post by pirateoversixty »

Don't let Orny get your goat. He means well but sometimes wears blinders. I agree that photography is a personal thing and rules are meant to be broken. Some of my friends get frustrated that I bounce from film developer to film developer. So what. There is more to photography than shadow detail when there is none expected or grainless prints when that isn't what you are after. I will assume that you have advanced beyond what people like Ornello expect, and enjoy playing.
Jim