drying negatives

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

kittymonterey

drying negatives

Post by kittymonterey »

I dont have photo flow or hypo clear. How can I dry my negatives so that I dont get water marks, without those substances...sponges...any suggestions...or do i absolutly need a substance...what can i do till i get my hands on one and what one is best/cheapest?

kittymonterey

i figured it out

Post by kittymonterey »

well seems like they dry just fine on their own...its scary at first but the bubbles go away. i should have guessed.

Ornello

Re: drying negatives

Post by Ornello »

kittymonterey wrote:I dont have photo flow or hypo clear. How can I dry my negatives so that I dont get water marks, without those substances...sponges...any suggestions...or do i absolutly need a substance...what can i do till i get my hands on one and what one is best/cheapest?
It is difficult to get spot-free negatives without a wetting agent. Try dish detergent.

Jim Appleyard

Post by Jim Appleyard »

Kitty, DO NOT use dish detergent! What a stupid thing to recommend to someone!
Dish detergents contain dyes, alcohols and who knows what other things that may be harmful to your film.

Get some Kodak Photo-flo or the equivilent. You took time to create the images before you. Do you want your negs to look good in 30 years? The answer is, yes. If you didn't want them for the future, you wouldn't take them in the first place/ Don't mess them up with something like dish detergent. Do what's best for your negs.

Jim Appleyard

Post by Jim Appleyard »

Read this thread, in particular, Photo Engineer's post. He's retired from Kodak and knows his stuff.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/4491 ... flo-2.html

Ornello

Post by Ornello »

Jim Appleyard wrote:Kitty, DO NOT use dish detergent! What a stupid thing to recommend to someone!
Dish detergents contain dyes, alcohols and who knows what other things that may be harmful to your film.

Get some Kodak Photo-flo or the equivilent. You took time to create the images before you. Do you want your negs to look good in 30 years? The answer is, yes. If you didn't want them for the future, you wouldn't take them in the first place/ Don't mess them up with something like dish detergent. Do what's best for your negs.
I was offering a suggestion to use dish detergent in an emergency. Of course he should use photo-flo.

Keith Tapscott.

Post by Keith Tapscott. »

Jim Appleyard wrote:Kitty, DO NOT use dish detergent!

Get some Kodak Photo-flo or the equivalent. You took time to create the images before you. Do what's best for your negs.
I agree 100%. It is false economy to use anything other than a PROPER photographic wetting agent.