Fuji 400cn film

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

pirateoversixty

Fuji 400cn film

Post by pirateoversixty »

was browsing through the choose-film forum, which i am sure is put up by fuji film, and they announced that they would be putting out a a bw c-41 film in England in October 2008. any of our english friends used this yet?
Jim

Keith Tapscott.

Post by Keith Tapscott. »

Fuji have had a chromogenic B&W film out for a few years. I haven`t used it personally, but I have read reviews about it. It is a competitor to similar B&W C-41 films from Kodak and was designed with help from Ilford. Both the Fuji and Kodak films have a coloured base tint which helps to produce neutral B&W prints when enlarged on colour RA4 papers.
Ilford XP2 Super is designed for printing on regular B&W papers and doesn`t have the coloured base. Think about the colour of a safe light for standard B&W prints.

pirateoversixty

Fuji 400cn film

Post by pirateoversixty »

OK. So then I assume that one would have to use a 3 or 4 Ilford vc filter to print with this film? That is what I do when I print the Kodak stuff, to get a decent print.

Have had excellent results using the XP2 in 35mm, but not quite as good with 120, even with my Bronica GS-1 or Rollei 2.8f.

Anyway Fuji chromogenic isn't available stateside that I know of.
Jim

kennethcooke

Re: Fuji 400cn film

Post by kennethcooke »

pirateoversixty wrote:was browsing through the choose-film forum, which i am sure is put up by fuji film, and they announced that they would be putting out a a bw c-41 film in England in October 2008. any of our english friends used this yet?
Jim
Jim- Yes I shot a roll of this film recently when we had a covering of snow and had it 1 hour processed by Jessops who are a photo chain in the UK. I was very impressed with the results, far better, in my opinion than the Kodak offering. Shot at rated speed the negs appear to have plenty of detail but still assessing suitable dial in filtration for enlarements
"It's called grain it's supposed to be there"

Regards Kenneth