Foma and Forte: Relics of Cold War Eastern inferiority?

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

Ornello

Post by Ornello »

Fotohuis wrote:If you mean: The amount of money for reseach and the technology to produce high speed films, yes I can agree.
But that does not mean that the other companies have inferior and crappy products :)
Yes, it does. I used some Agfapan 400 just a year before they went out of business. It was decidedly inferior to Tri-X and HP5. Very much grainier.

Phorst

Post by Phorst »

Awww crud.

Well thankfully I keep some DK-50 in both stock form and 1:1 form around :)

Although I never really cared for the idea of Sodium Metaborate, or as they delightfully called it, Kodalk.

Next thing I want to know : Any stores in Sydney, that will sell me Efke 25 or Panatomic-X or Agfapan 25 or even Plus-X Pan or FP4+, but in 120 format?

Panchromatic film isn't as popular around here as it once was :( :cry: and as previously stated, parents have a thing about the idea of using the internet to purchase good. :( :(

Oh well, if anyone can think of something (An Aussie version of J+C perhaps?) I'd be most interested to hear of it.

p.s STOP COPYING ME PEANUTHORST

Ornello

Post by Ornello »

Phorst wrote:Awww crud.

Well thankfully I keep some DK-50 in both stock form and 1:1 form around :)

Although I never really cared for the idea of Sodium Metaborate, or as they delightfully called it, Kodalk.

Next thing I want to know : Any stores in Sydney, that will sell me Efke 25 or Panatomic-X or Agfapan 25 or even Plus-X Pan or FP4+, but in 120 format?

Panchromatic film isn't as popular around here as it once was :( :cry: and as previously stated, parents have a thing about the idea of using the internet to purchase good. :( :(

Oh well, if anyone can think of something (An Aussie version of J+C perhaps?) I'd be most interested to hear of it.

p.s STOP COPYING ME PEANUTHORST
Why? The latest emulsions from Fuji and Kodak are superb. I cannot imagine needing anything finer-grained than Acros. Expose and evelop it properly and it's every bit as good as the films you are mentioning.