Paper developer without hydrochinon

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

JJFOTO

Paper developer without hydrochinon

Post by JJFOTO »

I want to mix my own hydrochinon-free paper developer.

Does anybody have the recipee?

JJFOTO
Jorgen Jensen
Denmark

www.jjfoto.dk
jj@jjfoto.dk

Keith Tapscott.

Re: Paper developer without hydrochinon

Post by Keith Tapscott. »

Out of curiosity, why must it be free of hydroquinone?
You could try looking up the formula for Ansco 120 or Kodak D-165.

JJFOTO

Post by JJFOTO »

Hello Keith
Thank you for the input. Due to restrictions (cancer risk) it is becomming more difficult to get hydrochinon here in Denmark. But I know that this chemical has been substituted by other chemicals (C-vitamine), so that is why I am interested.

I am going to try Ansco 120 formula, it seems to be close to Dr. Beer's solution #1 (low contrast). (Reference: Ansel Adams, The Print).

Best regards.

Jorgen
JJFOTO

Keith Tapscott.

Post by Keith Tapscott. »

JJFOTO wrote:Hello Keith
Thank you for the input. Due to restrictions (cancer risk) it is becoming more difficult to get hydrochinon here in Denmark. But I know that this chemical has been substituted by other chemicals (C-vitamine), so that is why I am interested.

I am going to try Ansco 120 formula, it seems to be close to Dr. Beer's solution #1 (low contrast). (Reference: Ansel Adams, The Print).

Best regards.

Jorgen
JJFOTO
Unfortunately, most ascorbic-acid (c vitamin) developers don`t last very long when stored. The exception(s) seem to be Kodak Xtol and perhaps the Silvergrain print developers designed by Ryuji.
I don`t understand the angst concerning hydroquinone which is a very important developing agent for photographic developers and has been used for well over a century.

Ornello

Post by Ornello »

JJFOTO wrote:I want to mix my own hydrochinon-free paper developer.

Does anybody have the recipee?

JJFOTO
Jorgen Jensen
Denmark

http://www.jjfoto.dk
jj@jjfoto.dk
Just go to camera shop and buy Dektol.

foolscape

Post by foolscape »

"The Darkroom Cookbook" is a wonderful resource for formulas. That said, there's a section on this site for formulas as well.

Ansco 120 is similar to Selectol Soft. If you use Fiber papers, you may have to change the way you enlarge.

--Gary

pentaxpete

Post by pentaxpete »

I would like to know what is the 'cancer risk' with Hydroquinone as I've had two lots,Prostate and Lymphoma and have bee messing about with Hydroquinone since starting mixing my own in 1951 ! I do not get it on my fingers in powder form or breath in as I mix but I do put my fingers into developers containing it -- I read somewhere that the toning agent Thiourea is Carcenogenic too, but also do not get the powder on my fingers.
When I was in the Army, RAMC, I used to do staining of blood smears and bacteria and post-mortem tissues and regularly got the stains on my fingers -- do you think that was Carcenogenic ?
Got COMPUTERISED and 'slightly Digitised Pentax K10D' but FILM STILL RULES !

miha

Post by miha »

Hi Pete!

I'm very sorry to hear about your condition, but it's impossible to say that exposing yourself to hydrochinon has anythig to do with it.
There is still limited evidence on cancerogenic effect of hydrochinon.
If you tend to stay away from hydrochinon and metol, you only choice is to wear gloves and mix powder developers with a mask. Or switch to Xtol, Ilfosol (I think), Agfa Neutol Plus (Rollei Vintage Classic Developer), and Spur Paper Dur Eco.

Best regards, Miha