parodinal

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

pirateoversixty

parodinal

Post by pirateoversixty »

Got some new raw chemicals in last week, with thoughts of trying to mix up some parodinal. Got some generic tylonal, and some drano type stuff for the sodium hydroxide. it was advised to let stand for 72 hours before using.
End result is a jar that looks like it came from the beautiful illinois river: muddy brown. i filtered out some metallic looking substance, but this just doesn't look right to me. think i screwed up somewhere.
anybody have some thoughts on this?
thanks
Jim

Ornello

Re: parodinal

Post by Ornello »

pirateoversixty wrote:Got some new raw chemicals in last week, with thoughts of trying to mix up some parodinal. Got some generic tylonal, and some drano type stuff for the sodium hydroxide. it was advised to let stand for 72 hours before using.
End result is a jar that looks like it came from the beautiful illinois river: muddy brown. i filtered out some metallic looking substance, but this just doesn't look right to me. think i screwed up somewhere.
anybody have some thoughts on this?
thanks
Jim
What in the world are you talking about?

pirateoversixty

Go to formulas and data on the website, under general film developers.

I know you have no use for Rodinal, but, life is an adventure.
Jim

foolscape

Post by foolscape »

Be more specific on the "Drano type stuff." What, exactly, did you use?

--Gary

pirateoversixty

It is called "Drain OUt" and contains sodium hydroxide and sodium nitrate.
Jim

foolscape

Post by foolscape »

pirateoversixty wrote:It is called "Drain OUt" and contains sodium hydroxide and sodium nitrate.
Jim
I'm not a chemist, but it seems to me that the addition of sodium nitrate could be an issue. In my experience, developers work best when the recipes are followed precisely. I wonder what other chemicals are in Drain Out that may be fillers or other agents. Who knows? It may work just fine. Shoot some test film and give it a whirl.

--Gary

pirateoversixty

will probably do a clip test on some 35mm this week. wouldn't want to commit a whole roll to this.

unfortunately, i didn't see the sodium nitrate ingredient when i bought this stuff. got a feeling that it may be the problem, if there is a problem. will advise.
Jim

pirateoversixty

ok, did my clip test. mea culpa, mea culpa. actually, the clip was much, much shorter than i anticipated; 3 frames at the end of a roll. the first part of the roll was a barry thornton recommendation that i may go into later. anyway, the film was neopan 400 35mm ei 320. It actually worked!. negs look good, little if any, base fog. next step is to let 'em dry and put em in the enlarger. to be continued.
Jim

pirateoversixty

Well, printed a few negs the other nite. I'm afraid my initial enthusiasm was misplaced. Prints weren't much different than d-76 type, in fact, maybe not quite as good. Not quite as sharp as I expected(Neopan 400 being a fine-grained film to begin with). Anyway, will try again.
JIm

Ornello

Post by Ornello »

pirateoversixty wrote:Well, printed a few negs the other nite. I'm afraid my initial enthusiasm was misplaced. Prints weren't much different than d-76 type, in fact, maybe not quite as good. Not quite as sharp as I expected(Neopan 400 being a fine-grained film to begin with). Anyway, will try again.
JIm
Why? Why not just use D-76 1:1 and be done with it? Are you a masochist or something?

foolscape

Post by foolscape »

Ornello wrote:Why? Why not just use D-76 1:1 and be done with it? Are you a masochist or something?
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Why don't people just watch the same rerun of "I Love Lucy" over and over and over and over and over and over?

--Gary

pirateoversixty

Ornello:

As I said, I know you have no use for Rodinal. I repeat: life is an adventure. Some of us, (maybe many of us, ) refuse to wear blinders. I am surprised you said D-76. What about your favorite Patterson FX-37 or 39, or whatever? Seriously, why shouldn't I experiment with different formulae? It's out there. Maybe I am a masochist at a subconcious level.
Jim

Ornello

Post by Ornello »

pirateoversixty wrote:Ornello:

As I said, I know you have no use for Rodinal. I repeat: life is an adventure. Some of us, (maybe many of us, ) refuse to wear blinders. I am surprised you said D-76. What about your favorite Patterson FX-37 or 39, or whatever? Seriously, why shouldn't I experiment with different formulae? It's out there. Maybe I am a masochist at a subconcious level.
Jim
FX-39 is the best developer made that I know of but it is hard to get right now. D-76 1:1 is hard to beat. I'm going to have to make up some FX-37. Have not tried it.

pirateoversixty

jusst a belated follow-up to parodinal. developed a roll of plus x in it. 1:100. forget the time right now. worked ok, nothing spectacular. let the mix stand for about a year before deciding to use it. really evil looking stuff!! also gets a little syrupy like the original. don't plan to use on a regular basis, but will try it with L
Legacy 100, as i have heard some good reviews of this combination.