Rollei Retro 100+ Rodinal

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

Ornello

Re: Rollei Retro 100+ Rodinal

Post by Ornello »

Given that I am using Kodak Tri-X400 and currently Ilford Pan-F Plus which I currently rate at box speeds of 400 asa and 50 asa respectively what would be your recommendations through your testing. Also I use Ilfosol-S 7.5 mins and 4 mins respectively. How would you recommend downrating development times? I also have in stock TMax developer and Rodinal. As yet they are unopened but I was proposing to use the TMax for my Tri-X processing and Rodinal for my Pan-F and Rollei REtro 100 asa if I decided to stock the later. Your thoughts on this would be appreciated as you are in good company with the late Barry Thornton whose views I particularly value.
Photo below I believe was made on HP5 Plus or Neopan 400. Grain is hardly noticeable in 8x enlargement from which this scan was made.
Attachments
Factory torn down.
Factory torn down.
Factory 2.JPG (130.62 KiB) Viewed 20170 times

kennethcooke

Post by kennethcooke »

Thank you for that. I noticed when reading further barry Thornton "Elements" he talks about down rating Tri-400 to 160 asa and cutting development time by 35% and rating Agfa 100 asa at 50 asa and again reducing development time by 35%. I appreciate your help in these areas and although I have taken photographs for over 40 years it is only recently that I can say I have studied it seriously and the results are speaking for themselves. There is so much to learn and I am very grateful to find a forum such as this one when people, yourself included, are so helpful. Thank you again. Where are you based by the way?
"It's called grain it's supposed to be there"

Regards Kenneth

Ornello

Post by Ornello »

kennethcooke wrote:Thank you for that. I noticed when reading further barry Thornton "Elements" he talks about down rating Tri-400 to 160 asa and cutting development time by 35% and rating Agfa 100 asa at 50 asa and again reducing development time by 35%. I appreciate your help in these areas and although I have taken photographs for over 40 years it is only recently that I can say I have studied it seriously and the results are speaking for themselves. There is so much to learn and I am very grateful to find a forum such as this one when people, yourself included, are so helpful. Thank you again. Where are you based by the way?
I was experimenting along the same lines as Thornton when I came across his book. I am in Columbus, Ohio.

I really don't think you need to go quite that low (EI 160) with Tri-X; I shoot the various 400 speed films at EI 250 and that works splendidly. I have found that Neopan 400 is a better Tri-X than Tri-X itself. It does everything Tri-X does, but better, with a more beautiful tonality. The grain pattern is more attractive than that of Tri-X. But where I really like it is in the highlights, which to my eye have just a touch more contrast and separation, but not nearly as much as the original version of T-Max 400. I like the vigorous shadow characteristics of Tri-X, and Neopan 400 seems to have that same character.

The new T-Max 400 film offers some promise. The original version was unsuited to outdoor work.

I have found by trial and error that ISO speeds are too high by 40%, so I rate the films about 40% less and that works perfectly. There's nothing wrong with the films, it's the ISO standard that is the problem. The old ASA standard was developed for sheet films and contact printing. ISO simply adopted those standards uncritically. If you experiment (as Thornton and I did) with the goal of obtaining optimum quality you will likely come to the same conclusions.

kennethcooke

Post by kennethcooke »

Thank you. Since we last conversed I am now considering a total change of camera system. Nobody is more surprised than me as I envisaged that I would be a Leica M6 fan forever. I have been offered an incredibly good deal to trade in my 2 M6 bodies and 3 lenses for a Rollei SL66 system which is mint and consists of everything I need. You might like to cast an eye at the site and tell me what you think

http://www.commercialcameras.co.uk/used.html

I used to have a Bronica system and although it did not have the lens quality of Leica optics it made up for that by having 6 X 6 neg size. The SL66 has Zeiss lenses so optics should not be an issue

Regards Kenneth

Ornello

Post by Ornello »

kennethcooke wrote:Thank you. Since we last conversed I am now considering a total change of camera system. Nobody is more surprised than me as I envisaged that I would be a Leica M6 fan forever. I have been offered an incredibly good deal to trade in my 2 M6 bodies and 3 lenses for a Rollei SL66 system which is mint and consists of everything I need. You might like to cast an eye at the site and tell me what you think

http://www.commercialcameras.co.uk/used.html

I used to have a Bronica system and although it did not have the lens quality of Leica optics it made up for that by having 6 X 6 neg size. The SL66 has Zeiss lenses so optics should not be an issue
Not sure why you have to get rid of the M6s. These systems are not comparable in terms of their strengths. I don't get it.

kennethcooke

Post by kennethcooke »

But I am proposing to move to medium format so I will not have a compatibility issue unless you can see something glaring which I have missed. Please tell me what you don't get. I don't quite understand what you are saying. My Durst 670 will be compatible as I am proposing to exchange my 50mm Rodenstock Rodigon for and 80mm Schneider Componon S

Regards Kenneth

Ornello

Post by Ornello »

kennethcooke wrote:But I am proposing to move to medium format so I will not have a compatibility issue unless you can see something glaring which I have missed. Please tell me what you don't get. I don't quite understand what you are saying. My Durst 670 will be compatible as I am proposing to exchange my 50mm Rodenstock Rodigon for and 80mm Schneider Componon S
Medium format is not the same thing as 35mm, not as fast or convenient, slower lenses, etc. You can carry more M lenses etc.

kennethcooke

Post by kennethcooke »

OK I hear what you are saying. The type of photographs I make in my more senior years tend to be much more studied meaning portability and speed are not an issue as I work in a more precise and deliberate way with subjects that are by and large stationary, landscape and detailed. I now try to visualise how I want my picture to be by using a spotmeter to assess detail. I have never been a film burner and I guess I will only print about 150 prints per year. Due to ill health restricting my traveling I try to explore potential close to home. But once again thank you. You are really helping my decision process

Regards Kenneth

Ornello

Post by Ornello »

kennethcooke wrote:OK I hear what you are saying. The type of photographs I make in my more senior years tend to be much more studied meaning portability and speed are not an issue as I work in a more precise and deliberate way with subjects that are by and large stationary, landscape and detailed. I now try to visualise how I want my picture to be by using a spotmeter to assess detail. I have never been a film burner and I guess I will only print about 150 prints per year. Due to ill health restricting my traveling I try to explore potential close to home. But once again thank you. You are really helping my decision process
Why not keep the Leica etc. and just add the other?

kennethcooke

Post by kennethcooke »

Ornello wrote:
kennethcooke wrote:OK I hear what you are saying. The type of photographs I make in my more senior years tend to be much more studied meaning portability and speed are not an issue as I work in a more precise and deliberate way with subjects that are by and large stationary, landscape and detailed. I now try to visualise how I want my picture to be by using a spotmeter to assess detail. I have never been a film burner and I guess I will only print about 150 prints per year. Due to ill health restricting my traveling I try to explore potential close to home. But once again thank you. You are really helping my decision process
I cannot afford to do that and anyway I would not want more than one system

Regards Kenneth

Ornello

Post by Ornello »

kennethcooke wrote:
Ornello wrote:
I cannot afford to do that and anyway I would not want more than one system
Well that's OK but I would hate to see anyone part with his Leicas.

kennethcooke

Post by kennethcooke »

Why not keep the Leica etc. and just add the other?[/quote]I cannot afford to do that and anyway I would not want more than one system[/quote]

Well that's OK but I would hate to see anyone part with his Leicas.[/quote]I know what you mean. It feels quite a wrench even considering seperation

Regards Kenneth

miha

Post by miha »

kennethcooke wrote: I have been offered an incredibly good deal to trade in my 2 M6 bodies and 3 lenses for a Rollei SL66 system which is mint and consists of everything I need.
I hope you are kidding!

kennethcooke

Post by kennethcooke »

miha wrote:
kennethcooke wrote: I have been offered an incredibly good deal to trade in my 2 M6 bodies and 3 lenses for a Rollei SL66 system which is mint and consists of everything I need.
I hope you are kidding!
Deadly serious. I know it came as a shock to me but I could not refuse the generous offer that was made for my system. As I am not a film burner I rather like the idea of 120 film with 12 frames. Having a couple of film backs increases versatility. Did you decide on the Colourplan P2 lens or are you going to upgrade your 150 for a 300+ 90mm Colourplan. Watch this space

Regards Kenneth

kennethcooke

Post by kennethcooke »

Thank you all but I am beginning to wonder if I can really be bothered. I am not sure my Manfrotto 190PROB is man enough for MF. My darkroom is really set up for 35mm format and my leica M outfit fits my Billingham bag perfectly and working on the theory of not liking change and, happy with the devil you know syndrome I might stay with the more up to date technology that I have. However, I do appreciate your reasoned argument

Regards Kenneth