Rollei Retro 100+ Rodinal

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

miha

Re: Rollei Retro 100+ Rodinal

Post by miha »

kennethcooke wrote:
miha wrote:
kennethcooke wrote: I have been offered an incredibly good deal to trade in my 2 M6 bodies and 3 lenses for a Rollei SL66 system which is mint and consists of everything I need.
I hope you are kidding!
Deadly serious. I know it came as a shock to me but I could not refuse the generous offer that was made for my system. As I am not a film burner I rather like the idea of 120 film with 12 frames. Having a couple of film backs increases versatility.
Kenneth, I'm not arguing your decision to move to 120, it's the deal that is far from generous. Your Leicas and lenses are worth much more than the SL66 is (one of the least reliable MF cameras).
kennethcooke wrote:Did you decide on the Colourplan P2 lens or are you going to upgrade your 150 for a 300+ 90mm Colourplan. Watch this space
(Yes, I'm the same Miha:-)) I've purchased a Pradovit P600 with a P2.

kennethcooke

Post by kennethcooke »

Kenneth, I'm not arguing your decision to move to 120, it's the deal that is far from generous. Your Leicas and lenses are worth much more than the SL66 is (one of the least reliable MF cameras).
kennethcooke wrote:Did you decide on the Colourplan P2 lens or are you going to upgrade your 150 for a 300+ 90mm Colourplan. Watch this space
(Yes, I'm the same Miha:-)) I've purchased a Pradovit P600 with a P2.[/quote]

Thank you for your concern, it is because without people like yourself I be would eagerly anticipating delivery of a Rollei SL66. As it is I have cancelled the deal. I saw sense just in time. Thank you all those who challenged my thought process. Now, back to the thread anyone. I think we were discussing personal film speeds. Please join in
"It's called grain it's supposed to be there"

Regards Kenneth

miha

Post by miha »

kennethcooke wrote:Now, back to the thread anyone. I think we were discussing personal film speeds. Please join in
I have no experience with rodinal, but apx 100 developed in Ilfotec HC (my standard) yield too much contrast (exposed at 100). I gave up the film and went back to FP4 and Ilfotec HC for when I need slow film.

kennethcooke

Post by kennethcooke »

Guess what folks the Rollei SL66 is back on again and Miha if you want first choice on my M system you are welcome to contact me by e-mail. You can have it for the same price as my trade in offer but you will need to be quick. My sponsor in AA used t say that I was up and down like a haws draws. I know what she means and I don't like indecision

Regards Kenneth

miha

Post by miha »

kennethcooke wrote:Guess what folks the Rollei SL66 is back on again and Miha if you want first choice on my M system you are welcome to contact me by e-mail. You can have it for the same price as my trade in offer but you will need to be quick. My sponsor in AA used t say that I was up and down like a haws draws. I know what she means and I don't like indecision
Thanks for the offer, but I'm an R user.

Be warned: SL66 is not worth the money! It's unreliable, and spare parts are scare (Franke&Heidecke does no longer exist) Sell one of your M6s and get a Hasselblad with 80mm planar for the money of M6 alone!

Cheers, Miha

kennethcooke

Post by kennethcooke »

miha wrote:
kennethcooke wrote:Guess what folks the Rollei SL66 is back on again and Miha if you want first choice on my M system you are welcome to contact me by e-mail. You can have it for the same price as my trade in offer but you will need to be quick. My sponsor in AA used t say that I was up and down like a haws draws. I know what she means and I don't like indecision

Be warned: SL66 is not worth the money! It's unreliable, and spare parts are scare (Franke&Heidecke does no longer exist) Sell one of your M6s and get a Hasselblad with 80mm planar for the money of M6 alone!

Cheers, Miha
I think you will find that is not the case. I was speaking to a Rollei engineer earlier today and he would totally disagree with everything you say here. Why is it that people with little or no knowledge pontificate on matters that they know nothing about? I would personally be quite worried if I were a Leica R user.

And as far as Hassleblad is concerned. I am not a wedding photographer so I do not need built in shutters for fill in flash. Two out of two. Not bad

Regards Kenneth

miha

Post by miha »

kennethcooke wrote:
miha wrote:

Cheers, Miha
I think you will find that is not the case. I was speaking to a Rollei engineer earlier today and he would totally disagree with everything you say here. Why is it that people with little or no knowledge pontificate on matters that they know nothing about? I would personally be quite worried if I were a Leica R user.

And as far as Hassleblad is concerned. I am not a wedding photographer so I do not need built in shutters for fill in flash. Two out of two. Not bad
Kenneth, my intentions were sincere. If you were so sure about your decison, why ask questions in the first place? But it's your money, so go ahead!

Wish you all the best, Miha

p.s. why should my choice of cameras bother you? (quite childlish, don't you think?)

kennethcooke

Post by kennethcooke »

Miha. How is being sincere condemning out of hand everything someone puts forward especially, given that your knowledge on the subject is very limited if your negative response is anything to go by. I have used various Rollei cameras in the past including thier legendary TLR's which are phenomenal pieces of precision engineering, equal of anything to come out of Wetzlar and thier Rollei 35T with the Zeiss Tessar lens is amasing. I regularly took one to the Alps as it was a true one handed camera useful when climbing. Miha, I don't wish to fall out with you as I respect other photographers who pursue this form of art but don't go on the negative attack which is so prevalent within the Leica forum. It does not become you and devalues any worthwhile contribution you make. You will understand, I agonized long and hard over my decision and I valued the points raised by all who commented but to condemn outright a choice made by someone in that situation either indicates sour grapes of lack knowledge. I was pleased to hear that you had acquired a Leitz Pradovit 600 with a 90 Colourplan P2. I have no experience of the 600 but I very much like my 300IR. In the long term I will possibly search out a Rollei 6 X 6 projector but with the demise of Kodachrome I have been a little disillusioned with colour reversal film. If you have used Kodachrome II 25 asa, as I did you will know what I mean. Anyway, enjoy your art be it B&W or colour reversal and I look forward to some good interaction together here. I feel sure I wont be missed on the LUG. I think I was a little outspoken for thier delicate constitutions and being a Yorkshireman I prefer to tell it how it is especially when I see new members getting a tongue lashing from the point scoring brigade

Regards Kenneth

Ornello

Post by Ornello »

kennethcooke wrote:Miha. How is being sincere condemning out of hand everything someone puts forward especially, given that your knowledge on the subject is very limited if your negative response is anything to go by. I have used various Rollei cameras in the past including thier legendary TLR's which are phenomenal pieces of precision engineering, equal of anything to come out of Wetzlar and thier Rollei 35T with the Zeiss Tessar lens is amasing. I regularly took one to the Alps as it was a true one handed camera useful when climbing. Miha, I don't wish to fall out with you as I respect other photographers who pursue this form of art but don't go on the negative attack which is so prevalent within the Leica forum. It does not become you and devalues any worthwhile contribution you make. You will understand, I agonized long and hard over my decision and I valued the points raised by all who commented but to condemn outright a choice made by someone in that situation either indicates sour grapes of lack knowledge. I was pleased to hear that you had acquired a Leitz Pradovit 600 with a 90 Colourplan P2. I have no experience of the 600 but I very much like my 300IR. In the long term I will possibly search out a Rollei 6 X 6 projector but with the demise of Kodachrome I have been a little disillusioned with colour reversal film. If you have used Kodachrome II 25 asa, as I did you will know what I mean. Anyway, enjoy your art be it B&W or colour reversal and I look forward to some good interaction together here. I feel sure I wont be missed on the LUG. I think I was a little outspoken for thier delicate constitutions and being a Yorkshireman I prefer to tell it how it is especially when I see new members getting a tongue lashing from the point scoring brigade
Monty Python's Flying Circus -
"Four Yorkshiremen"

[ from the album Live At Drury Lane, 1974 ]

The Players:
Michael Palin - First Yorkshireman;
Graham Chapman - Second Yorkshireman;
Terry Jones - Third Yorkshireman;
Eric Idle - Fourth Yorkshireman;
The Scene:
Four well-dressed men are sitting together at a vacation resort.
'Farewell to Thee' is played in the //background// on Hawaiian guitar.

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
Aye, very passable, that, very passable bit of risotto.
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
Nothing like a good glass of Château de Chasselas, eh, Josiah?
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
You're right there, Obadiah.
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
Who'd have thought thirty year ago we'd all be sittin' here drinking Château de Chasselas, eh?
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
In them days we was glad to have the price of a cup o' tea.
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
A cup o' cold tea.
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
Without milk or sugar.
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
Or tea.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
In a cracked cup, an' all.
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
Oh, we never had a cup. We used to have to drink out of a rolled up newspaper.
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
The best we could manage was to suck on a piece of damp cloth.
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
But you know, we were happy in those days, though we were poor.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
Because we were poor. My old Dad used to say to me, "Money doesn't buy you happiness, son".
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
Aye, 'e was right.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
Aye, 'e was.
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
I was happier then and I had nothin'. We used to live in this tiny old house with great big holes in the roof.
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
House! You were lucky to live in a house! We used to live in one room, all twenty-six of us, no furniture, 'alf the floor was missing, and we were all 'uddled together in one corner for fear of falling.
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
Eh, you were lucky to have a room! We used to have to live in t' corridor!
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
Oh, we used to dream of livin' in a corridor! Would ha' been a palace to us. We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish tip. We got woke up every morning by having a load of rotting fish dumped all over us! House? Huh.
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
Well, when I say 'house' it was only a hole in the ground covered by a sheet of tarpaulin, but it was a house to us.
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
We were evicted from our 'ole in the ground; we 'ad to go and live in a lake.
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
You were lucky to have a lake! There were a hundred and fifty of us living in t' shoebox in t' middle o' road.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
Cardboard box?
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
Aye.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
You were lucky. We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt.
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at six o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of 'ot gravel, work twenty hour day at mill for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would thrash us to sleep with a broken bottle, if we were lucky!
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
Well, of course, we had it tough. We used to 'ave to get up out of shoebox at twelve o'clock at night and lick road clean wit' tongue. We had two bits of cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at mill for sixpence every four years, and when we got home our Dad would slice us in two wit' bread knife.
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you.
ALL:
They won't!

miha

Post by miha »

kennethcooke wrote:Miha. How is being sincere condemning out of hand everything someone puts forward especially, given that your knowledge on the subject is very limited if your negative response is anything to go by.
Kenneth, If someone is beeing offered a SL66 for his 2 M6 Leicas and 3 Leitz lenses, I would of course express my strong disapproval, based solely on secon-hand prices!
kennethcooke wrote:I have used various Rollei cameras in the past including thier legendary TLR's which are phenomenal pieces of precision engineering, equal of anything to come out of Wetzlar and thier Rollei 35T with the Zeiss Tessar lens is amasing. I regularly took one to the Alps as it was a true one handed camera useful when climbing.
I'm sure we agree that rolleiflex is a Rolls-Royce of medium format cameras.
kennethcooke wrote:Miha, I don't wish to fall out with you as I respect other photographers who pursue this form of art but don't go on the negative attack which is so prevalent within the Leica forum. It does not become you and devalues any worthwhile contribution you make.

I feel sure I wont be missed on the LUG. I think I was a little outspoken for thier delicate constitutions and being a Yorkshireman I prefer to tell it how it is especially when I see new members getting a tongue lashing from the point scoring brigade
Kenneth, why do you associate me with LUG or Leica forum? I do not post there. (and I do not use other names, always Miha, my real name) If my memory serves me right, you have asked me these question on my introduction to FADU.

The only Leica forum I participate is Leicareflex list. I don't believe we've met there.
kennethcooke wrote:You will understand, I agonized long and hard over my decision and I valued the points raised by all who commented but to condemn outright a choice made by someone in that situation either indicates sour grapes of lack knowledge.
I have commented, but you have decided not to value my points. That is of course fine with me, as you might now better. Advice taken.
kennethcooke wrote:I was pleased to hear that you had acquired a Leitz Pradovit 600 with a 90 Colourplan P2. I have no experience of the 600 but I very much like my 300IR. In the long term I will possibly search out a Rollei 6 X 6 projector but with the demise of Kodachrome I have been a little disillusioned with colour reversal film. If you have used Kodachrome II 25 asa, as I did you will know what I mean. Anyway, enjoy your art be it B&W or colour reversal and I look forward to some good interaction together here.
In my country (Slovenia), Kodachrome was never available. But I have a fabulous book by Leni Riefenstahl: Die Nuba von Kau. The images were all shot with Kodachrome 25 and 64 and Leitz lenses (from 21mm to 560mm), so I know what you mean.

Best regards, Miha

p.s. as for my experience with Franke&Heidecke products, you have allready decided that I have no experience with, so there is little point to share...

Ornello

Post by Ornello »

kennethcooke wrote:Miha. How is being sincere condemning out of hand everything someone puts forward especially, given that your knowledge on the subject is very limited if your negative response is anything to go by. I have used various Rollei cameras in the past including thier legendary TLR's which are phenomenal pieces of precision engineering, equal of anything to come out of Wetzlar and thier Rollei 35T with the Zeiss Tessar lens is amasing. I regularly took one to the Alps as it was a true one handed camera useful when climbing. Miha, I don't wish to fall out with you as I respect other photographers who pursue this form of art but don't go on the negative attack which is so prevalent within the Leica forum. It does not become you and devalues any worthwhile contribution you make. You will understand, I agonized long and hard over my decision and I valued the points raised by all who commented but to condemn outright a choice made by someone in that situation either indicates sour grapes of lack knowledge. I was pleased to hear that you had acquired a Leitz Pradovit 600 with a 90 Colourplan P2. I have no experience of the 600 but I very much like my 300IR. In the long term I will possibly search out a Rollei 6 X 6 projector but with the demise of Kodachrome I have been a little disillusioned with colour reversal film. If you have used Kodachrome II 25 asa, as I did you will know what I mean. Anyway, enjoy your art be it B&W or colour reversal and I look forward to some good interaction together here. I feel sure I wont be missed on the LUG. I think I was a little outspoken for thier delicate constitutions and being a Yorkshireman I prefer to tell it how it is especially when I see new members getting a tongue lashing from the point scoring brigade

I sold camera equipment for a number of years (both new and used). The Rollei camera was expensive and rare. Hasselblads use the same lenses, and the used market is full of good Hasselblads (called "blads" by American pros, just as some Americans refer to Cabernet Sauvignon as "Cab" and Chardonnay as "Chard"; it seems no-one can stand using the whole name in this country). Anyway, I would take a Hasselblad over the Rollei any day. But neither is worth giving up your Leica Ms for.

kennethcooke

Post by kennethcooke »

I love the Yorkshire skit by the way. There is a Yorkshire saying which you might not have heard which goes "You can always tell a Yorkshireman but you can't tell him much"

Re your comment "Kenneth, If someone is beeing offered a SL66 for his 2 M6 Leicas and 3 Leitz lenses, I would of course express my strong disapproval, based solely on secon-hand prices!"- How dare you assume to know how much I received for my Leica M system? You might be interested to know that I have received - no, sod why should I tell you. After all you seem as though you know everything about everything through your vast experience. Let me say just this. I am blissfully happy with the deal I have struck with the gentleman concerned who is a Hassleblad Digital Partner with many years in the photographic industry. So please move on and don't pretend to best guess me. Back to the thread I started. Tell me about your experiences with Rollei (nee) Agfa Retro as the UK price for 35mm film seemed very attractive http://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/rollei ... -757-p.asp which is more than can be said for the 120 version but that is for another day

Regards Kenneth

miha

Post by miha »

kennethcooke wrote:I love the Yorkshire skit by the way. There is a Yorkshire saying which you might not have heard which goes "You can always tell a Yorkshireman but you can't tell him much"

Re your comment "Kenneth, If someone is beeing offered a SL66 for his 2 M6 Leicas and 3 Leitz lenses, I would of course express my strong disapproval, based solely on secon-hand prices!"- How dare you assume to know how much I received for my Leica M system? You might be interested to know that I have received - no, sod why should I tell you. After all you seem as though you know everything about everything through your vast experience. Let me say just this. I am blissfully happy with the deal I have struck with the gentleman concerned who is a Hassleblad Digital Partner with many years in the photographic industry. So please move on and don't pretend to best guess me. Back to the thread I started. Tell me about your experiences with Rollei (nee) Agfa Retro as the UK price for 35mm film seemed very attractive http://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/rollei ... -757-p.asp which is more than can be said for the 120 version but that is for another day
Kenneth, if you are keen on insulting people, please spare the Forum and PM me.

Ornello

Post by Ornello »

miha wrote:
kennethcooke wrote:I love the Yorkshire skit by the way. There is a Yorkshire saying which you might not have heard which goes "You can always tell a Yorkshireman but you can't tell him much"

Kenneth, if you are keen on insulting people, please spare the Forum and PM me.

I would like to see you take this sort of photo with a medium format camera:
Attachments
560mmm f/6.8 Telyt-R
560mmm f/6.8 Telyt-R
0794963-R2-010-3A.jpg (61.14 KiB) Viewed 24489 times