Developing B&W Film Chemistry

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

bondct

Developing B&W Film Chemistry

Post by bondct »

Hi... so a few months ago I started to process my own b&w film with great results... Now, I recently bought a full darkroom setup from someone who was moving and couldnt take the equipment with him...

my question now is what chemicals and in what proportions can anyone recommend for me... I have tried google... but the results were not obviously apparent...

I use Ilford Multigrade Fiber Glossy paper... I realize that initially, the chemistry will involve some experimentation till I find what I personally like... just looking for a jumping off point... any suggestions are appreciated... Thanks...

Keith Tapscott.

Re: Developing B&W Film Chemistry

Post by Keith Tapscott. »

I would stick with what you are already using for your film processing, unless you have a good reason to change.
Liquid concentrates are easier to use for a beginner, although you don't state where you are geographically located. If in the UK, I suggest looking at Ilford or Fotospeed products, although Paterson market some good products if you can find them.
Something like Fotospeed FD-10 for film developing and Ilford Multigrade developer for papers would be a very suitable choice. Other wise, check the products on this very site.
Just about any brand of stop-bath and fixer will be fine with films and papers.
You mention a full darkroom set up, so I guess that you already have all you need to get printing. Also check various manufacturers sites for technical data which you can usually download as PDF documents.

bondct

Post by bondct »

Hi... I am in New York... I currently use HC-110 to process my film at 1:63 dilution h... what dilution do you use for prints?

Keith Tapscott.

Post by Keith Tapscott. »

HC-110 is a B&W film developer. It is best to use a dedicated paper developer processing your B&W enlargements. Something like Kodak Dektol Liquid or Ilford Multigrade developer will be fine. Those are usually diluted 1+9 and are supplied with the instructions printed on the label.