New Developer... Any info??

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

nandman83

New Developer... Any info??

Post by nandman83 »

Hi,

A friend of mine bought this developer from India called the RTP163. The shopkeeper told him its used for both ie film (including colour) and paper. The chemical contents are as follows:

p-methyl amino phenol sulphate

p- hrdroxide benzene

I tried googling and found nothing. Is this similar to the DA163? I cant seem to find the chemical composition of DA163. If anyone has any info on this developer kindly help.

Thanking you,

Nandakumar
When in doubt, don't.

Digitaltruth
Site Admin

Post by Digitaltruth »

DA-163 is a basic print developer which seems to be used in India, so you are probably right that it is similar to the product you have been sold. The formula for Kodak D-163, which may also be called DA-163 or a variation of, is as follows:

Kodak D 163

Metol 2.20 g
Sodium sulfite 75 g
Hydroquinone 17 g
Sodium carbonate, anhyd. 65 g
Potassium bromide 2.8 g
Water to make 1 liter

Mix 1+3, dev time 90 secs

The developing agent p-methyl amino phenol sulphate is Metol, so whatever RTP-163 is, it is a basic metol-based developer and should produce solid results for b/w prints.
Digitaltruth Photo
https://www.digitaltruth.com

nandman83

Post by nandman83 »

Thanks for the prompt reply. So I guess its only for prints. Thanks once again.

Cheers,

Nandakumar
When in doubt, don't.

Keith Tapscott.

Post by Keith Tapscott. »

Jon Mided wrote:DA-163 is a basic print developer which seems to be used in India, so you are probably right that it is similar to the product you have been sold. The formula for Kodak D-163, which may also be called DA-163 or a variation of, is as follows:

Kodak D 163

Metol 2.20 g
Sodium sulfite 75 g
Hydroquinone 17 g
Sodium carbonate, anhyd. 65 g
Potassium bromide 2.8 g
Water to make 1 liter

Mix 1+3, dev time 90 secs

The developing agent p-methyl amino phenol sulphate is Metol, so whatever RTP-163 is, it is a basic metol-based developer and should produce solid results for b/w prints.
Hello Jon,
You probably already have this information, but I`ll post it here any way.
This is from the `Kodak handbook for the professional photographer, Volume 4`.
Kodak DA-163 developer:
"A modification of formula D-163 for high temperature processing at temperatures up to 32C. Add 25ml of 0.1% volume/weight solution of benzotriazole in ethylene glycol to each litre of working strength D-163 solution. At temperatures above 24C, print exposure should be adjusted to give a development time of about 1 minute".

dfoy

hydroxide benzene

Post by dfoy »

"hydroxybenzene" is hydroquinone.