120 B&W processing help

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

nir

120 B&W processing help

Post by nir »

i rectly bought myself a holga toy camera! and i love it. I shoot two rolls of ilford delta 100, and two rolls of fuji provia 100. The slides came out great, but i have yet to develop the B&W film. I am proccessing the film my self in a paterson system with a universal reel. I know about the proccessing time change. My only real question what do i do about the paper backing? do i take it off befroe proccessing? after proccessing? Not at all? If anybody has any more tips for a medium format virgin please help!
thanks!

Post by 12345678987654321 »

Loading the film is easy, especially with the paterson reels.
Bring the tank, reel(s), and lid(!), along with scissors, into your dark area.
Be sure you know which way the reel is facing when you position it in the dark. The smaller flamges with the ball bearings should be facing AWAY from you, as you push the film onto the reel to load it.
In the dark:
1. Remove tape that holds the roll of film closed.
2. Unroll the roll a bit, you will soon feel the film; it will separate from the paper.
3. Hold one corner of the film, and using your thumb as a guide, use the scissors to cut off a small triangle of film, at a roughly 45 degree angle; repeat for the other side. this will help prevent snagging as you nudge the film onto the reel.
4. Hold the film on the cut end, and use your other hand to position the edge of the film into one of the flanges; then reach across, and position the other side. Once you have the film in the flanges:
5. Pull the film onto the flanges about an inch or so.
6. Rock the reel flanges back and forth, this will pull your film onto the reel; go slowly until you get the feel. The paper will fall away from the film, but it may need a little coaxing.
7. Keep rockin' until you feel a little resistance; feel around and you can find the paper, work your hand up the paper til it meets the film; it will be taped to the film with an inch or so of masking tape. At this point you can:
8. Hold the film right by the masking tape ( there will be no picture there, so a fingerprint won't hurt), and hold the paper by the tape also.
9. SLowly and firmly pull the film free of the tape. SOme say not to do tis too quickly, as you might generate a spark due to static electricity, but I have never seen it myself.
10. Rock the reels a couple of times to be sure the film os all the way on the reel.
Stick your reel in the tank, lid on, and you're done!
As has been said many times gefore, you might want to practice with a junk roll before doing the real thing, nut who want to waste a good roll of film?
You can do it!