Efke Film IN PMK Developer

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

steve

Efke Film IN PMK Developer

Post by steve »

Hi,
Can anybody help I have got hold of some Efke 50 ISO film to try. But as yet been unable to find the developing times for PMK Pyro, I have got the times for my other developer that I use. Since trying the pyro this is my prefered developer so you can see why I want to find the times.

Regrds

Steve

Digitaltruth
Site Admin

Post by Digitaltruth »

I'm not aware of a specific time for Efke 50 in PMK, but would recommend trying something in the region of 8-10 minutes at 21C/70F. You may need to rate the film at 25 ASA for best results. If you do work out a successful combination, please let me know so that it can be added to the Massive Dev Chart.
Digitaltruth Photo
https://www.digitaltruth.com

JC

Post by JC »

Is this Sheet or Roll Film?

If sheet rate it at 50, also why are you using PMK? Pyrocat and even ABC are better choices with far less general stain, let me know if you need formulas...

steve

PMK Reply

Post by steve »

JC wrote:Is this Sheet or Roll Film?

If sheet rate it at 50, also why are you using PMK? Pyrocat and even ABC are better choices with far less general stain, let me know if you need formulas...
Thanks for the reply, it is roll film, why PMK ? someone introduced me to it when doing a photography course at night school. Was very pleased with the results so been using it as my first choice developer since. if you can let me have the formulas I might give these a try when I run out of the PMK. Do you have any developing times for these two formulas, for the film in question? Or any guide times that I could start with, and work out the best times from these.

Thanks again

Steve

JC

Post by JC »

Hi Steve,

Info on Pyrocat can be found here, which I recommend for the roll film:
http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Pyrocat/pyrocat.html
Starting times are in the article.

ABC can be troublesome with roll film as it oxidizes quickly with constant agitation, If you use the formula for roll film I would recomend adding .75g of phenidone and reduing the the pyro to 30g and increasing the KBr to 42cc. Increase sulfite to 150g. Doing so drastically reduces the oxidation, while producing a developer of equal developement strength as orginal ABC which I think would be better for roll film development.

Mix 1:1:1:15 for both variations and adjust accordingly, times should be in the 9-12min range.

Always mix solution B fresh or not more than 48 hours old.

ABC Pyro
Solution A
Water 900 cc
Sodium Bisulfite 10 g.
Potassium Bromide (10% Solution) 11 cc
Pyro 60 g.
Water to make 1,000 cc (One liter)
Mix at 100 degrees

Solution B
Water 900 cc
Sodium Sulfite 105 g

Solution C
Water 900 cc
Sodium Carbonate 80 g
Mix at 100 degrees

Lowell Huff

Post by Lowell Huff »

Clayton F76plus Developer will provide great results with this film. Dilute it 1+14 and develop for 5½ minutes @ 68ºf.