increasing sharpness with Classic Pan 400

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

kludge

increasing sharpness with Classic Pan 400

Post by kludge »

I just shot my first roll of J&C Classic Pan 400. I really like the tonality, but I'm not so pleased with the sharpness. It seems a little fuzzy at the edges compared to the TMAX400 and HP5 I'd been using. I'm just starting with my own development, so I'm not very sophisticated about these things.

I shot it at rated speed, and developed in HC110 solution B, 9 minutes, 75f, agitation 1/min. Highlights and shadows both came out well, so I think the development time was about right. But the fuzzy edges! What can I do about that? A different developer, maybe? Or a different process with the HC110?

tornredcarpet

Post by tornredcarpet »

Try XTOL... it's a bit sharper.

BTW, tell us your development/agitation procedures.

kludge

Post by kludge »

I thought about XTOL, but I have to make too much at once - storage problem. I'd prefer something I can mix as a one-shot.

My agitation procedure is usually 30 seconds continuous, followed by 4 inversions once a minute.

I used solution B for this particular film, but I've been using solution H (1:63) @ 72F with good sharpness on TMAX400, and on HP5 pushed to 640. I really like the tonal range and shadow detail this approach provides. However, I think the sharpness is a function of the film, not the developer - those films are even sharper in solution B.

jdef

Sharp Forte 400

Post by jdef »

I use a lot of Forte 400, and have not found it to be unsharp compared to HP5+. Maybe there was some anomoly in your process that reduced sharpness. There are sharper developers than HC110, that share its handling characteristics and longevity. Try 510-Pyro:

http://www.digitaltruth.com/techdata/ar ... ingdev.php

Jay

Lowell Huff

Post by Lowell Huff »

Our F76plus DEVELOPER, available at this sight, will provide great results with this and most other films. As a liquid, you can use as a "one shot", or machine process developer. You might also fall in "love" with our ODORLESS FIXER and STOP BATH.