processing Rollei Retro 400 film

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

natvdh

processing Rollei Retro 400 film

Post by natvdh »

I'm wanting to develop a Rollei Retro 400 film with Ilford PQ Universal Paper Developer. I don't mind the increase in graininess from using a paper developer for film, but don't want it to be too extreme. Does anyone know the best dilution rate, time, agitation etc....?

Ornello

Re: processing Rollei Retro 400 film

Post by Ornello »

natvdh wrote:I'm wanting to develop a Rollei Retro 400 film with Ilford PQ Universal Paper Developer. I don't mind the increase in graininess from using a paper developer for film, but don't want it to be too extreme. Does anyone know the best dilution rate, time, agitation etc....?

No. This is experimental work that you will have to work out yourself as it is not recommended.

KennyE

Post by KennyE »

In my studies of using PQ Universal developers, they are all pretty much the same. Yes there will be grain using 400, yet lesser grain using slower films.

A real good place to start is at Photography Formulary, they produce a PQ Universal developer, with times and types of film information that you are looking for.

On average the dilution ratio is 1:15 and in some cases 1:18. Development time is 8-10 minutes at 70F..

I have ordered Forma Universal developer, and I am awaiting its arrival from Europe, hopefully this month, since I order it in May of this year..., so many delays. I will post the information from it, so that you can have ideas. I think that it is MQ, but the difference in performance is close enough, to build a graph.

I test out many developer, both paper and film. And so far, nothing beats Microdol-X, Rodinal, and Defender 777 for film and GAF-130 and Dektol for paper.

Thank You

KennyE

Ornello

Post by Ornello »

natvdh wrote:I'm wanting to develop a Rollei Retro 400 film with Ilford PQ Universal Paper Developer. I don't mind the increase in graininess from using a paper developer for film, but don't want it to be too extreme. Does anyone know the best dilution rate, time, agitation etc....?
Paper developer has a higher Ph as it is intended for developing paper. What is it you are trying to accomplish?

foolscape

Post by foolscape »

I accidentally developed paper in a film developer once. The results were awful. There is a reason why developers are labled "Film," and "Paper." The "universal" developers don't give you the best results. I agree with Ornello. Why would you want to do such a thing?

natvdh

Post by natvdh »

I have processed film with paper developer before, (I even remember using coffee and Vitamin C powder!), and due to the pH used a much higher dilution rate and a longer development time... I know it can be done and I understand it is a risk, but I was considering it as I live in a part of France where it is hard to find darkroom supplies. But I've never processed Rollei film before.... and it has been a while since I've been in a darkroom. But the reverse, film developer for paper I don't think I would ever do, mainly because of the expense.

Anyway, I've managed to find some film developer online for fairly cheap that will deliver to France, so I'm not going to risk it.

KennyE, yes in the past I've usually used Rodinel and Microdol... but hard to come by here in France apparently, retail or online. Photography Formulary seem a good substitute for some of the other brands, though again, not-France friendly!

Thanks for the input.

foolscape

Post by foolscape »

You know, there is a coffee and vitamin C developer for film as well. It's called Caffenol. The Formula is on The Unblinking Eye. I've used it once, and it worked pretty well.

--Gary