Are you looking for Lithographic Developers formulas

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

KennyE

Are you looking for Lithographic Developers formulas

Post by KennyE »

Well, I am not looking for them. But for those of you that are, I will not allow you guys to be forgotten.

I do not know that much about those type of developers, but I am willing to learn. So any thing that you or anyone else teach me will be welcome.

What I have been told is that lithographic developers do not last too long and that the public domain formulas are only good for about an hour or so. Is that correct? Or do I have it all wrong.

Anyway for all of those that require a long lasting developer formula, here is a link to what may be what you are looking for.

These formulas are stated to provide as much as four hours of service. All of these formulas are from GAF Corporation. Some of the others are stated to last for eight hours of service.

Four Hour Developer

Water, 125F/52C 750 ml
Hydroquinone 22.5 g
Sodium Sulfite (anhydrous) 5.0 g
Sodium Carbonate (mono) 55.0 g
Sodium Metaborate 20.0 g
Potassium Bromide 3.0 g
Cold water to make 1L

Eight Hour Developer

Water, 125F/52C 750 ml
Hydroquinone 22.5 g
Sodium Sulfite (anhydrous) 5.0 g
Sodium Carbonate (mono) 75.0 g
Borax 15.0 g
Potassium Bromide 3.0 g
Cold water to make 1L

Entire Day Developer

Water, 125F/52C 750 ml
Hydroquinone 15.5 g
Formaldehyde Bisufite 50.0 g
Sodium Carbonate (mono) 20.0 g
Sodium Metaborate 20.0 g
Potassium Bromide 2.0 g
Cold water to make 1L

So check them out and if more inform is needed Google this link: "US Patent 2902367"

Thank You

KennyE

Ornello

Re: Are you looking for Lithographic Developers formulas

Post by Ornello »

Kenny:

There are many sources of formulas out there. If you want Rodinal, you can buy it easily.

foolscape

Post by foolscape »

I occasionally do Lith Printing. Would you happen to know if these formulas would work for that? If you had their trade names, I may be able to figure it out. I'd love to have a longer lasting solution.

Thanks!
--Gary

KennyE

Post by KennyE »

Gary:

In my first post, there is the US Patent number that can provide you with everything that you may require. I wish you well and may God bless you always

Thank You

KennyE

KennyE

Post by KennyE »

Hi Ornello:

Yes, I could buy "Rodinal", but yet again..., why.

I discovered that home brewing formulas is a lot more fun than buying them. When you buy someone's formula, you simply read about their work and the results that they achieved. And you spend your valuable time trying to re-create their results.

Yet when you brew your own, now that is a whole other ball game. Its like, "lets see what this puppy can do". It is the waiting and the drama; of wanting to see what comes out of that bloody film tank. Because if you "nailed it", there is no better feeling in the world. It is similar to sex for the first time. Well...., not quit that good, but pretty close.

Thank You

KennyE
Last edited by KennyE on Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ornello

Post by Ornello »

It's hard to mix certain chemicals with consistent accuracy. High dilution ratios are difficult to measure accurately.

KennyE

Post by KennyE »

Ornello:

I found a solution to your statement of accuracy.

I purchase a toy plastic training balance scale off the web for $7.00 and the plastic mass weights for $9.00. You can set the scale to zero balance and then use the plastic mass weights. The mass weights comes in 1 gram, 5 grams, 10 grams, and 20 grams.

If you know some one with a digital scale, you can weight out the mass of a few screw nuts to obtain a .5 gram mass weight reference and you are set. You can "super glue" about 2 or 3 small 10-40 nuts together, weight them on the digital scale and have yourself a set of factional masses of weight; like .5 grams, .7 grams, etc..

That will give you an accuracy of .5 grams. And you would not need any more accuracy than that. I mean, after all, this is not "rocket science". Right?

Thank You

Ornello

Post by Ornello »

KennyE wrote:Ornello:

I purchase a toy plastic training balance scale off the web for $7.00 and the plastic mass weights for $9.00. You can set the scale to zero balance and then use the plastic mass weights. The mass weights comes in 1 gram, 5 grams, 10 grams, and 20 grams.

If you know some one with a digital scale, you can weight out the mass of a few screw nuts to obtain a .5 gram mass weight reference and you are set. You can "super glue" about 2 or 3 small 10-40 nuts together, weight them on the digital scale and have yourself a set of factional masses of weight; like .5 grams, .7 grams, etc..

That will give you an accuracy of .5 grams. And you would not need any more accuracy than that. I mean, after all, this is not "rocket science". Right?

Thank You
I usually end up making larger volumes simply to make the smallest quantities measurable. I never make 1-liter volumes, but rather make 1-gallon volumes (multiplying the amounts of ingredients by a factor of 3.75).

I have a nice three-beam Ohaus scale.

cameramill.co.uk

Post by cameramill.co.uk »

Ornello wrote:

Thank You
I usually end up making larger volumes simply to make the smallest quantities measurable. I never make 1-liter volumes, but rather make 1-gallon volumes (multiplying the amounts of ingredients by a factor of 3.75).

Ornello I use digital, but I find them to be temperamental at times. Are the three-beam Ohaus scales quick and easy to use? Will it weigh below 1gram? I have seen them on the bay at reasonable prices and thought about buying a set. Do they take up much space?

Ornello

Post by Ornello »

cameramill.co.uk wrote:
Ornello wrote:

Thank You

Ornello I use digital, but I find them to be temperamental at times. Are the three-beam Ohaus scales quick and easy to use? Will it weigh below 1gram? I have seen them on the bay at reasonable prices and thought about buying a set. Do they take up much space?
It takes some finessing to weigh small amounts. It's best to make 10% solutions when possible (10 grammes in 1 liter of solution).

cameramill.co.uk

Post by cameramill.co.uk »

I see, yes I have thought about making up solutions but the problem is do they keep for long like this?

Ornello

Post by Ornello »

cameramill.co.uk wrote:I see, yes I have thought about making up solutions but the problem is do they keep for long like this?
It depends. Some keep well, some don't.