Jay DeFehr: Why do you like Foma 200?

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

kcf

Jay DeFehr: Why do you like Foma 200?

Post by kcf »

Jay DeFehr, You will perhaps remember I had posted a thread about Eastern european films a while back to which you had been kind enough to reply. You had writ that there is no other film quite like Foma 200 and that you shoot a lot of it. I find myself wanting to buy 4x5 sheet film and am considering either Foma 100 or 200. I know the 200 is crystal technology, which I think means it is modern, like Kodak. No doubt it is not up to Kodak's standards, but is it superior to the 'classic' 100 speed?

Bertilsson

Post by Bertilsson »

I'm not Jay DeFehr. If you wonder why people like Foma 200, take a look at this website. According to its author (some trust him, others don't, but he sure knows how to make beautiful photographs), it's very similar in characteristics and look to Kodak Tri-X.

Link:
http://www.defenderphoto.com/D-F200%20Film%20Page.htm

- Thom

kcf

Thank you, Thom.

Post by kcf »

Thank you for the reply and the link, I appreciate it.

Kevin

Jay DeFehr

Foma 200

Post by Jay DeFehr »

Hi kcf.

I haven't used Foma 100, so I can't make comparisons to that film, but I can tell you why I like Foma 200. Unlike Forte/Bergger/J&C Classic 200, Foma 200 is a true 200+ speed film, and like other designer grain films, exhibits excellent grain/speed characteristics, giving grain similar to traditional 100 speed films, like Plus-X or FP4+. Foma 200 is most similar, in my testing, to TMY/Tmax 400, with the same short toe, and long, straight characteristic curve. This film develops quickly and stains extremely well, with enormous expansion/contraction potential. I love the gradation of this film in my developers, and I've never seen any variation in its performance, or defects in its manufacture or packaging. All of this, and it's dirt cheap. Foma 200 is, for me, a close second to TMY, which is a stop faster, and only a little more grainy, but much more expensive, and not available in all the formats that Foma 200 is. Unless you need that extra stop of speed that TMY provides, I think Foma 200 is an excellent choice. Good luck.

Jay

kcf

Post by kcf »

Thank you, Jay, for getting back to me so quickly. I appreciate it. I think I will give it a try.