Our starter set with pre-disolved collodion chemistry saves you time and money! All of the chemistry you need to start making Wet Plate Collodion images is included in one easy to mix kit, with all of the major components pre-disolved and ready to use. Your starter set also includes an alcohol lamp for warming plates, a hydrometer for maintaining silver nitrate baths, and amber storage bottles for your mixed solutions. Our formula is an adaptation of Jacobson's "quick-clear" recipe, a formulation that is popular with many wet plate artists because the salted collodion is ready almost immediately. This updated kit makes tintypes, ambrotypes and glass negatives using a single salted collodion and developer!
Our starter set comes with all of the chemistry components needed to make wet plate images, but you will also need many other items that are not included. You will need a suitable large format camera, glass plates, silver nitrate sensitizing tank, and a film holder converted to accept glass plates. There are many excellent websites dedicated to wet plate photography, we recommend visiting them to become familiar with the process before beginning. The starter set includes everything you need, covering all of the major steps; pouring the plate, sensitizing in silver nitrate, developing, fixing, and varnishing.
- 650 ml Old Work Horse Salted Collodion (coats 60-70 8x10 plates)
- 500 ml 10% Silver Nitrate Solution
- 1000 ml Bostick & Sullivan Wetplate Developer Concentrate
- 1000 ml B&S Rapid Fix (Makes 4000ml)
- 25 ml 7% Nitric Acid for Silver Nitrate maintenance
- 25 ml Amino Silane Glass Bonding Agent
- 25 ml 1% Iodine Tincture for increasing constrast
- 100 grams Calcium Carbonate glass cleaner
- 250ml Pre-mixed Sandarac Varnish
- Comfort Fit Safety Glasses
- 2x Amber Glass bottles for storing mixed solutions
- 1x Plastic Bottle for storing Fixer Alcohol
- Lamp for warming glass plates, varnishes and solutions
- Hydrometer 1.00 - 1.20 for maintaing the silver nitrate bath
- Funnel 4.25"
- 100ml Graduated Cylinder, Tempered Glass
- Plastic Droppers
- pH Testing Strips
- Instructions for mixing