For years, smaller darkroom operators have been pouring valuable silver down the drain with their used hypo/fix solution: mostly because they don't know how this precious silver can be recovered; how valuable it really is; or they consider it too complicated and expensive.
Ideal for smaller darkrooms, the Silver Magnet (SMT-20) is a unique patented electronic silver recovery module that can recover up to a troy ounce of silver per week from your used solution, simply and economically. When full, it holds 30+ troy ounces of 90-95% pure silver. No one is too small.
Installing a silver recovery system helps to maximize the environmental safety of your darkroom. Although the quantities of precious metal in your darkroom waste may be small, there is no reason to be dumping any silver down the drain.
The complete system consists of only two parts: a reusable power supply that plugs into any 110-120VAC outlet (220VAC model available) and a replaceable pick-up cell.
How it works:
- Connect power supply to pick-up cell. Plug in power supply and submerse cell in fixer batch.
- When cell becomes full (30+ ounces) disconnect from power supply and send to the refinery.
The pick-up cell is completely transparent, so you can actually see your silver being collected without removing it from the tray or batch tank containing the used solution. The cell can be left in your solution during processing. When used in this way, it can actually extend the useful life of your fixer, giving you additional cost cutting benefit. When full, you can ship the pick-up cell portion to a refinery such as USI who will send you a check for the value of silver collected: USI Refining Services
A patented product with years of use in the field by amateurs and professionals alike, the Silver Magnet (SMT-20) has been proven to be an extremely profitable method of silver recovery for the smaller darkroom.
Manufactured by Nanian Photo.
- Recovery Method: Electrolytic
- Pick-Up Cell: 7¾" x 3" x 1½"
- Power Module Size: 2" x 2" x 1½"
- Indicators: Light Emitting Diodes
- Recovery Capacity: Approx. 3lbs Silver
- Recovery Rate: Up to 1 troy ounce per week
- Power Input: 115VAC 60Hz 5 watt; 220VAC 50Hz 7 watt (Euro version)
- Power Output: 2 VDC 30MA
- Connection: Chemical Resistant Shielded 3.5mm plug and line jack
For more information or to purchase, please contact:
Where to Buy